Protecting Gel Coat from Towing Straps

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
On my old boat, the tie down straps when the boat was on the trailer didn't touch the sides of the hull. But on my new boat they do, and I'm starting to get some wear on the gel coat under where the straps go. Does anyone have suggestions for how to prevent that? I'm envisioning a sleeve over the webbing of the strap, similar to the soft sleeves they used to put on shoulder belts years ago (for those old enough to remember the sixties and seventies). What would be a good material for that? Has anyone found a better solution?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
We use large diameter. thick foam plumbing insulation on our e-bike straps. Also consider a thick comforter cut in strips, wrapped around each strap and taped or sewn in place.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Plastic sheet. Very slippery and low abrasion.
edit: Also, if you ever want to adjust the position on the bunks, jack up the boat enough to insert plastic sheet (plastic bag will do, 2 layers slide better against each other) then lower it and slide it, then jack it again to remove plastic.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
One of the causes of abrasion is the fact that the strap starts to vibrate and slap when going 60 mph down the highway. If you put one or two turns in the strap it will prevent the slapping. I got this tip from @Crazy Dave Condon

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks, guys. I've used that tip about twisting the straps before but I thought it only worked if the turns were where the strap doesn't touch the hull--i.e., the free-floating part of the strap. But maybe I'll try a bunch of turns over top of the hull. One problem is that I can't see the straps in the mirrors so it'll be hard to tell if it's working.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
In addition to the twist just for grins you might try getting some clingy Saran wrap and putting it under the area where the strap will be. That should give you a cheap indication of whether your twists are protecting you from further damage to the hull and wouldn't pick up road grime like a fuzzy belt sock might have.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
After 10-20 miles, I told my customers to stop and recheck everything to include strap. The boat has settles down and straps are loose. Tighten up the strap if needed every 100 miles when traveling.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I had the same problem on my C-22 and I simply took an old tube sock, wrapped it around the strap several times to make a tight knot then slide it up or down to the best place to keep the strap off the hull. Simple, ugly, but it works.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@Tedd Pool noodles over the strap works great. They rest on the hull and form to the bend really well. I use them for all my trailering with the boat. they last me about 2 years of use and I trailer a lot.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Pool noodles over the strap works great.
Now that idea interests me because I bought a couple of noodles a few weeks ago and ended up not using them for what I bought them for. They're just cluttering up my shop. I'll try them next time I tow, which should be in a week or so.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Have you thought of old piece of fire hose but the hard part is finding some
Interesting idea. I'm not sure I've ever actually held fire hose in my hand but my impression has always been that the fabric is rough--too rough to protect gel coat. But, if it's not, then it would certainly be a durable solution.