Prospective Hunter 320 buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

I am considering buying a Hunter 320. I am wondering how this boat compares to similiar models from Beneteau and Catalina.

B

Bruce Grant

Hmmmmmm

Well, I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my 320. I didn't look at the Beneteau and talking with an owner of a Catalina 320, he liked his boat, but he wasn't thrilled with his boat. I looked at the C320 and have sailed against it and it is an OK boat, but I wasn't thrilled with it either. So not a lot of help I know. I guess it boils down to what do you like, what are you willing to spend. Hunter fitted both of those for me, so thats what I bought. Regards. Bruce. Neon Moon

M

Mark Burrows

Brass Tacks

What I'd like to know is how a 320 compares with a 340? I looked at them this weekend and they seem very similar. What was most interesting was there length at waterline were nearly the same. Seems like the 320 would be just as fast as the 340? Mark PS. This is a purely academic question. Really!

T

Tim

can anyone tell me the performance ratios for 320

I was wondering what the capsize screen, displacement to length ratio, sail area to displacement ratio and hull speed of the 320 will be.....also, if the displacement to length ratio relates to speed then how does it relate to the hull speed of a boat specifically...I am also wondering why I haven't seen anything about the 320 in SAIL or Cruising World or Soundings...is it because it is so similar to the 310 that it isn't worth mentioning....I only ask because of the amount of attention that the 290 has received...Thanks....tim

T

Tim

asymmetric spinnaker

I am not a racer but wondered if anyone felt it was worth getting the spinnaker to improve downwind cruising?....thanks, tim

T

Tim

compass and VHF proximity

I read somewhere that the 310's VHF radio is a bit too close to the compass and affected the magnetic field...Is this true on the 320?...Thanks, tim

B

Been there

Here are the performance ratios

This site gives I=36.8', J=12', P=34.3', and E=12.6'. Sail area with 100% foretriangle is half (I*J)+(P*E), or 438 ft^2. Actual sail area is greater, but 100% SA is used for SA/D. Displacement is 8,550 lb., which is 133.6 ft^3. Take this to the 2/3 power and divide into SA to give SA/D=16.76. This is a conservative cruising number. The cube root of displacement (133.6) is 5.11. Divide this into beam (10.84') to get the capsize screen: 2.12. The boat is beamy for its size. LOA is 31.6', making the L/B ratio 2.91. The boat is beamy for its length. We've dealt with displacement in pounds and cubic feet of sea water. For D/L we need it one more way. Divide 8,550 by 2,240 to get 3.82 long tons. LWL is 28.3 ft, and .283 cubed and inverted is 44.12. Multiply by displacement in long tons gives D/L=169. Still with me? Take the waterline's root and multiply by 1.34 to find hull speed is 7.13 knots.

Status
Not open for further replies.