Prospective 27 owner with many stupid questions

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Thank you. That was a great read. Somehow I had completely missed those.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Hey guys... Wasn't an OMC saildrive an option for a while on Catalina and a few others? I'm sure most of those have been retrofitted by now altho I doubt there was anything intrinsically wrong with them. I once was considering a Morgan 27 with one. The issue would be lower end parts. Upper end would be the same as the OB for the most part.

Jul 4, 2012
Catalina 30' Capri Bay City, MI.
If the Catalina 27' for $2,500. is the one in Linwood, don't walk away, RUN from it. The lower unit at the very bottom is all rotted out won't even hold lube. And yes, I observed it as being the OMC Saildrive.

Oct 21, 2017
Catalina 27 Michigan
I'm moving to a lakefront home within walking distance of the State Harbor. I don't have a slip yet but started looking at sailboat ads lately. This one was 70 miles away but on my way driving between the two houses. Thought I'd take a look because the ad was so promising and the price was ridiculously low.

First and only boat I've looked at so far. Learned A LOT already.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Sellers who are vague, evasive or try to appear clueless about basics like the engine are red flags.

Apr 23, 2015
Beneteau Moorings 38 Daytona Beach
I have a 1976 Catalina 27 (Hull 2277) (albeit mine is only the outboard model). For battery charging, I installed a solar panel on the forward hatch cover, and that keeps my 1 house battery nicely charged. Being up in Michigan ( i do not miss the snow!) , your solar mileage may vary, but down here in Florida I don't have to worry. I did opt to glass in the outboard well and opted to mount the outboard completely externally, so I didn't have to crawl in the well. (lots of gators and snakes down here). Might be a good solution for your charging needs.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Find another, less complicated Catalina 27. An outboard is a good thing on the older 27's because owners were notorious for not servicing the difficult to access inboard. If you go to wwwcatalina27.org you'll find list of known issues compiled by previous owners over the years. The next c27 you inspect, checklist these items and look for correcting retro fits. They are quite well known.

I have a 15hp, remote control outboard on my 27, very easy to pull off and service or take to a mechanic. I leave the motor down while sailing...no issues. .. gives me the convenience of a inboard. The size of the opening in transom is too small for modern outboards with their upright powerheads. I simply remove the cowling when tilting the motor up into the well.... it tucks in completely. Cover the exposed head with canvas o.b. cover. I'm so used to this method, plans to modify the transom were scrapped long ago.
If you're going offshore, I'd look for a diesel powered 30+ footer.... but for mid length coastal cruising the ob powered c 27 is a nice, affordable solution for 1, 2, or 3 people.

Oct 21, 2017
Catalina 27 Michigan
Thanks! I will check that out.

The Catalina 27 that my sailing club owned had an outboard. There was a huge amount of storage below where an inboard engine would have been.

This boat would be docked on Lake Huron in Michigan's Thumb. It would primarily be used for Day sailing and overnight trips across the open waters of Saginaw Bay.

On occasion, I would take longer trips along the coast north to Mackinaw Island or South past Detroit and into Lake Erie to visit Put In Bay and Cedar Point. I've done the latter trip in a 28' Cape Dory

There is also the possibility of crossing the open waters of Lake Huron to Georgian Bay and the North Channel.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2015
I have a 15hp, remote control outboard on my 27
Given that the 27 is rated for a max 9hp, have you encountered any issues with your 15hp? (2 cycle or 4 cycle?) I'm using a 5hp (4 cycle) extra long shaft on an elevator bracket and it moves me in and out of harbor easy as pie. I'm in a lake, so no real issues with the lower HP. Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I'm moving to a lakefront home within walking distance of the State Harbor. I don't have a slip yet but started looking at sailboat ads lately.
If its Port Austin there are only 15 seasonal docks there the rest are designated transient, Lexington has a minimum length of 45' (something about a no compete clause with the marina next to it), I would look into docking availability as well you might be surprised, I know I was.
I know there are a couple of fine boats for sail at the Port Huron Yacht club you might want to have a look at. I guess its all budget dependent on what you can look at. The boat next to me is a 38 Irwin, very well maintained and know the owner has it up for sale and I am sure he would let it go at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017
Catalina 27 Michigan
Yes; Port Austin.

I am waiting to hear on the dockage availability. The person in charge of that is off this week. I was told that last year, there was a waiting list for those 15 slips but that they were eventually able to accommodate everyone.

If not this year, then next? I also have to find the best place for winter storage.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Given that the 27 is rated for a max 9hp, have you encountered any issues with your 15hp? (2 cycle or 4 cycle?) I'm using a 5hp (4 cycle) extra long shaft on an elevator bracket and it moves me in and out of harbor easy as pie. I'm in a lake, so no real issues with the lower HP. Inquiring minds want to know! :)
I sail in the ocean off the coast of southern California. From Mission Bay/San Diego the most popular cruising destinations are Catalina to the north and Ensenada to the south.... either trip means one leg will be up hill.. so a strong motor is paramount if you're on a schedule.
My boat's Tohatsu 2cycle 9.9 hp has a factory injector kit available that will raise the HP to 15. The motors are identical otherwise. I had the conversion installed 5 or 6 years ago, cost was around $125. The extra power gives me more confidence in a seaway... opposing waves, wind, tidal current, etc. The only issue is increased fuel consumption. Up 20%... and it was already pretty crappy, Upside is they will burn old fuel readily, I've never, ever had a problem with old or ethanol fuel in the 2 cycle. Problem is... you can't buy a new 2 cycle in Calif. anymore.
When I acquired the boat it had a 70's era Johnson Sailmaster 15hp. Those and the Evinrude's of the era had a low profile cowling that allowed easy clearance for tilt up storage. If that is important to you.... a 6hp motor will most likely have a small enough cowling to fit... but check first...

The main reason I'd go with at least 8hp or more is so you can find a motor equipped with remote control... On a Cat27, the motor is difficult to access and control from the cockpit...the lazzerette hatch has to be left open. Having shift and throttle controls in the helm/tiller area... motor rotation locked.... and steering exclusively with the rudder, is a huge convenience.... well worth the expense.

If your 5 hp gets you where you want to go.... don't change it. If you're gonna cruise long distance and may get in some seas... (that includes choppy conditions with lots of vessel traffic) and you feel the motor struggling... perhaps increased power with a high thrust prop may be in your future.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2015
To even get to the ocean would be a several day journey up river - I'm in Lake Monroe (just north of Orlando) and in order to get to the Atlantic, I have to sail up the St. Johns river to Jacksonville.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!