Pros & Cons of 2009 Beneteau 37

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Beneteau 37 JBM, St. Clair Shores, MI
I'm in the process of buying this boat, pending successful survey.

It's been in salt water since new.

I sold my 1992 Beneteau First 38s5 last summer up in Michigan, and am only familiar with fresh-water boating.

I'm having trouble finding specs for this boat. Are all 2009 Beneteau 37's "Oceanis" model, or was their just a "37"?

Any pros and cons of the 37 would be appreciated.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
The 37 is an Oceanis--if you are looking at specs for an Oceanis 37 you're in the right place. I don't think the "Oceanis" designation is used much-at least in the US. The "First" series-more racing oriented-has a different numbering/naming scheme.

Nov 24, 2012
There are positive and negatives coming from a first series. The oceanis cockpit and interior are designed for cruising so you'll have more livable areas in both. The oceanis line is less performance oriented than your 38s5 although if it's a classic main you'll get some of that performance back.

38s5 is one of the best B boats out there - curious why you wanted to make the change

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Thanks, TJ for the reply. I loved the First 38s5, but as a 1992, it was getting older and there were 5 things I wanted in my next sailboat, and the 2009 37 has 3 of the 5: in-mast furling, factory air conditioning, and master aft cabin bunk oriented sideways. It does not have the last two things: stand-alone separate shower stall, and a bow thruster.

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
Why sideways bunk?

What have you learnt about bunk orientation?

Nov 24, 2012
Vegas

Check out the external bow thrusters. We have two boats in our harbor that added them on and are very happy. 37 has been considered a bit small for a BW but I could have used it several times on my former B boat a 381.

I have a BW on my 423 as part of the original build and consider it indespensible. On the stand alone shower - it was the primary reason for moving up from a 38 to a 423.

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
The 38s5 was oriented length-wise, and only the person sleeping on the outboard side had any headroom at all, the inside person had a very low ceiling over their head......"claustrophobic". The sideways orientation gives both parties some headroom.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We've had a 2014 Oceanis 37 for a season so far. No complaints. Ours did have a factory installed bow thruster which is quite helpful in docking, but that's coming up from a 28 footer, so it might be easier if you're used to something larger. Nice design and sailing qualities. Let me know if you've got any questions on it.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Agree with David. Going into my 3rd full season and we have enjoyed the boat immensely, particularly the sailing qualities...we were the overall winner of a regional regatta last fall....not bad for an Oceanis series Bene. The only real issue I had (and probably a small one in the grand scheme of things) is the short traveler; I'm almost finished replacing it with a five foot one.

Oct 6, 2013
Beneteau 37 PE Annapolis
V-berth vanity into hanging locker?

We've had a 2014 Oceanis 37 for a season so far. No complaints. Ours did have a factory installed bow thruster which is quite helpful in docking, but that's coming up from a 28 footer, so it might be easier if you're used to something larger. Nice design and sailing qualities. Let me know if you've got any questions on it.
I have a 2014 B37 in Annapolis. Have you thought about converting vanity in v-berth to a hanging locker? No thruster here, but I like the boat.
Expect to be there in time for Baltimore Rendevous June 6th. Are you
going? My boat name is" Restless"

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I have a 2014 B37 in Annapolis. Have you thought about converting vanity in v-berth to a hanging locker? No thruster here, but I like the boat. Expect to be there in time for Baltimore Rendevous June 6th. Are you going? My boat name is" Restless"
We haven't really had a need to replace the vanity with a locker. I'm not sure I'll get a chance to get the boat down to the Rendezvous, but if not I was considering driving down for a couple of the vendor seminars.