Pros & Cons: Mac26x vs Catlina 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

Right now I have a 1983 Catalina 30, tall rig. My wife and I have loved the idea of a sailboat that can really get up and go under power when wanted. When we heard about the 26X our interest was substancial. To be honest, I love my Catalina 30, but would be VERY interested in a fairly new 26x as for the past 3 seasons Slowmotion has really been used as more of a daysailer than an overnight cruiser, and my wife loves sailing but really isn't a sailer (more of a guest rather than crew). I figure I can get about $23,000 for my Cat30 if I sell her. So can I get a decent 26 X with engine (don't need trailer) for that price? What options should I look for? How will a 26 X sail when compared to a Cat 30 TR? What is a realistic cruise speed under power with a 50 horse engine? How much gas do they go through (GPH)? Would anyone in southestern VA that has a 26X be willing to take us out for a spin in the 26x in exchange for a nice sail on the Catalina? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm thinking of "downsizing."

Status
Not open for further replies.