Pros and Cons of 1985 H31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2012
Hunter 31 North Channel
We plan to use our H31 to cruise the Great Lakes. We have little experience and are looking for opinions on the good and bad traits of an H31. The boat has been well looked after. I am more interested in characteristics in good and bad weather.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
We owned a 85 H31 for many years. We really enjoyed the boat. The weather conditions in our area of California range from no winds to 35-40 kts. We would take the boat to the SF Bay where there could be most any conditions.

The main issue with the H'31 is that you need to reef early if the winds are going to be over about 12 -15 knots. This is not much of an issue but makes life a lot nicer.

The only real issues with these boats was the compression post and the chain plate mounts (rod that goes thru the deck) that is secured by a piece of iron.

You any also want to have the rudder checked out to be sure that it is sound (freezing issues in your area). The motor is very dependable and has adequate power if it has the correct prop.

Needless to say, I really enjoyed this boat.

Nov 23, 2011
Hunter H31 Kent Island Yacht Club
We have owned an 84 H31 for a year now. Aside from PO fixes that needed to be redone. There isn't much I don't like about her. The reefing issue is a good one to
remember. We found the table when converted to a berth the most comfortable.
If you can get a moisture meter from you surveyor check for leaks saloon ceiling around the hand holds was a problem for us. Check the drain at the anchor locker.
Ours had the seal open and we get some water all the way forward in the bow
(more like moisture). We replaced the gaskets around the opening ports.
Sailing her is fun - still getting the hang of setting the sails and job cars correctly.
We would buy her again if we were looking
Hope the boat works out for you.
Mark

Oct 27, 2011
Hunter 34 Jensen Beach, fl
pros and cons H31

Having sailed our 84 H31 for 6 years and covered over 8,000 miles between lake Champlain, Bahamas and Keys I can only add that it is a great boat for coastal use. Note that the stated draft of the shoal keel is much greater than specs show but we also had the boat loaded for extended cruising(extra batteries, larger fuel and water, dinghy davits, extra anchors and chain all added weight). As stated in prev posts reef early, keep an eye on compression post and also to keep rust down on keel multiple coats of barrier coat are needed. We now cruise fl/Bahamas on our 85 h34 which is the same basic boat.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
This is a wonderful production boat whose design and layout allow for lots of options. I did a lot of shopping before getting mine, and dollar for dollar, the used 83-87 series 31 seems to be a really good value [perhaps a little small as a liveaboard for 2]. Fluid capacities probably limit her to coastal cruising, though I imagine many have done limited blue water sailing. The common issues have been covered, particularly the wood compression post and the rudder. I have some rot in my hatch cover slide rails, but I'm not sure if that is at all common. I am not thrilled with the way Hunter wired these boats, so I did an almost complete rewire with much help from many on this forum. Any boat approaching its 30th birthday will probably need to have its ports rebedded [and the plastic knobs disintegrate over time]. Because the 31 was well fitted with the full range of trim controls, it has very good sailing potential for those determined to master the skills Don outlines in his book [which I am still learning to master]. I give it 2 thumbs up.

May 21, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Milwaukee South Shore Yacht Club
We have a 1987 Hunter 31 which we have sailed on Lake Michigan since 1999. We love it. We have replaced the compression post. We re-bedded the water tank. We have re-bedded all of the opening ports. The boat looks like brand new. Engine runs great. We do a two week cruise somewhere on Lake Michigan every August. She is comfortable for that long. Pretty good week end racer. Fantastic day sailor and fireworks grandstand.

Status
Not open for further replies.