Propshaft thru hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2005
Soverel 48, Hull #11 Soverel 48, Hull #11 Pensacola
I need to replace my propshaft thru hull but I can not find any online. It's the piece that holds the cutless bearing on one end and provides the tube on the other for the packing gland.

Where do I find one? Am I calling it the right name?

Thanks

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
It sounds like you are looking for a stern tube. These are often glassed in and permanently a part of the FRP hull structure. Sometimes they can be of bronze or stainless, but again glassed in place. Not an easy replacement as they are custom built to the hull, but doable if you have the time, patience etc. Here is a breakdown on a replacement procedure.

http://www.lackeysailing.com/daysailor/rebuilding/systems/sterntube.htm

Mar 26, 2005
I understand what you mean but it's not a stern tube. I've attached a Pic of the one I removed minus the tube that shoud be part of the peice comming out from the right side. I included a pic from the flange out containg the cutless bearing, I should be looking down an 8 or so inch tube. The ring you see is where the tube broke a way. The flat part of the flange you see bolts though the boat. The other pic is the propshaft thru hull on the boat with my agh, mechanic guy.

Thank you for the response!

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Wild, Look at this Buck Algonquin part "00stbo125" in their catalog.
http://buckalgonquin.com/pages/ProductPages/drivetrain/stern_bearing_page.html
The shaft log on your boat is (was?) most likely attached to the "C" dimensioned boss
on the bearing housing. Someone could "sweat" on an appropriate length tube to match your hose and stuffing box, or you could epoxy the tube onto the boss..
You could call Buck Algonquin and ask if they did the bearing holders for the Soverels .. My bet is they did, but they may not have records any more..

EDIT: Is that a line cutter that is brazed onto the aft end ?? The silvery part sticking out of the side?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
Interesting arrangement. I second "Kloudie" on checking with buck algonquin. I spoke to them on the phone regarding a custom bearing job and they were very helpful.

Mar 26, 2005
Thanks for the post, I did check out the site but the tube on the backside of the flange is much to short. The tube would not pass through the hull and have enough left to grab on to with the packing gland.

I considerd brazing but it had been done once already. If the tube where to break the boat would sink. Thi si not something I would want to trust to a quick fix. I do have an aluminum piece made for it that has a flang and the needed tub, I can through-bolt the baring houseing flang to the tube flange and tighten it up inside. This might be the best solution overall. I wan't to replace it with a new piece seeing it's a very vulnerable thru hull.

Thanks

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
shaft log

Wild, I share your concern, 2 years ago my boat started leaking badly, the shaft log was held in with only 1 of 2 bolts, water was getting around the outside of the tube, here are pics of it. What a bitch getting at that thing. If u look at the place where the shaft log goes over the prop shaft, I put the bolts into the holes, and had another guy inside with a 3/8" rachet, with a couple of extensions = almost 5' with a swivel socket, I put heavy grease in it so the nut would not fall out, my friend was inside the engine compartment with the rachet next to the tube blind.The lenghth of the tube bridged my center cockpit. I was on the outside turning the bolt, took 3.5 hrs to get 2 nuts on, I hope yours is more accessible. What I would recomend is to buy a shaft log, and cutlass brg. It will have a female thread, buy a piece of same metal pipe as shaft log,( probably bronze?) size it to fit in boat, and have the 2 OD,s of the pipe threaded, so u can screw on an extension say sticking out 2" for your stuff box to clamp on, the other end into the shaft log. Install the 2 threaded ends with pipe dope, tighten against each other, and bolt in the shaft log.... Sounds complicated, but if u can get at it its easy.. REd

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.