Proper way to flush

May 25, 2016
Hunter 340 New Orleans, LA
I have a new Raritan PH II Super Flush. It’s about twenty feet from toilet to holding tank. How do you correctly flush it?

I mean, I believe you start out with a wet bowl. And then when time to flush you set dial to “Flush” and then pump, what, 8 or 10 times? And then set dial to “Dry” and pump another ten times? And then set to “Flush” to add a little bit of water to the bowl? And then turn dial to “Dry” and you’re done until next time?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I once figured out what volume of water it would take to push water to the holding tank. I used fresh water from my water tank in a plastic water container to flush with. Roughly it was about a gallon. So I would flush, I think in the dry bowl mode, a gallon of water through the system for #2 after the bowl contents were gone. #1 less so. That was a Hunter 356 so yours would be in that ballpark if your tank is in the aft lazerette. The assumption is that the water moves the waste linearly but that's probably not the case. Nevertheless, if you use less than a gallon, the waste probably isn't making it to the tank and is therefore staying in the hose. You can use your sense as to when you think a full flush is necessary. Certainly at the end of a weekend cruise. Or at least daily for longer cruises. I used to get pumped out often so I wasn't concerned about the volume in the tank and that boat had enough water storage. Water was free.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
More proof that boat builders are the WORST sanitation system "designers" on the planet!

'Cuz only the high end all-china macerating electric toilets have pumps that are capable of moving bowl contents much further than about 6-8' in a single flush of even 10 pumps without a LOT of help from gravity. ...Which you can have if you can modify the toilet discharge line to put a high loop--not a vented loop, just a loop at least 2-3' above the bowl--in it immediately after the toilet...iow, you'd aim the discharge fitting straight up. A PH II pump can easily lift bowl contents up to 4' even in the dry mode if the joker valve is replaced at least annually.

But first I"d try to find a new location for the tank--if not that tank, one that's a similar size--that's a LOT closer to the toilet.

You're welcome to send me a PM If you want some one-on-one help deciding what to do and how best to do it.

--Peggie