Proper water tank reading here?

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport, Mississippi
20170531_134251.png
My physics ain't that good, since I never had any, but I was wondering if you stuck a SCAD sensor on the tank in this position, would it give the best reading of global supply?

My understanding is that when both tanks are open, this bottom tank should empty last and always have the most water in it. When the first tank runs dry, this one should still be full?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup.. IF the elevation of the outlet of the other tank is above the outlet of the tank ya pointed to, the pointed to tank will empty last.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Consider using a water meter to monitor water usage and calculate remaining capacity. Battery (AAA or similar) meters with remote reader are available for about $30. Installation takes 15 minutes. Battery lasts several seasons. Extreme accuracy. Simply reset every time you fill your tanks.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
I asked the question regarding a SCAD water meter that costs $160, what meter do you know of that costs $30? I wanted the one that works on air pressure, no electric, but it's $500.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
This one is similar to mine and lists for $42 on eBay.
$_58.JPG

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Mine is inserted just before the fresh water pump with the reader in the vanity drawer. Reads total water consumed since last reset and instantaneous flow rate.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Why not just put a shut off value on 1 or both tanks.
Nick
I don't know what that would accomplish. I need to know when my tanks are almost empty so I don't get stuck. That would tell me when I'm halfway, I suppose, but too far from empty.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Mine is inserted just before the fresh water pump with the reader in the vanity drawer. Reads total water consumed since last reset and instantaneous flow rate.
So it doesn't tell you how much is in a tank, but tells you when the volume of your full tank has flowed through? I guess that would work.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Well a shut off will warn you that you are low on water and need to do what ever you do when need more water,
I have a water gauge that works and I carry water jugs and so if only half a tank I do 1 of two things take my sailboat some place for water or take my dinghy with my jugs for more water but at least I can tell my wife sure we have plenty of water for shower and I need to get more very soon and it would be better than my Wife tell me in the middle of her shower OMG out of water OMG .
Nick

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Looks like the Digiflow is the best option, I'd rather cut a hose to install that than cut a hose to install a valve. Then I never have to dig for that hose again, just change the battery occasionally. It even remembers the reading when the battery dies, that's great. Just hit the reset button whenever tanks are topped off. No need to go in my crowded electric panel. 1/3 the price of the cheapest monitor I've seen. Can't see any downside to it. Just have to run my tank dry from full one time to get the baseline. Will also let me know if I actually have 42 gallons as well...

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
I assume I'll need two 3/4 inch female npt barb fittings, like this picture, but do you know what size ID our hose is so I know what size barb to get? I was gonna go to the boat this weekend but the weather looks crap all weekend so it'll be 2 more weeks before I can even go look.
shopping.jpg

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
You should be sure to order the model with the 1/2" pipe connections as there are several other sizes available. And yes, you will need the two proper hose adaptors from 1/2" FNPT to 1/2" hose. It will serve your purposes well.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
I figured since it was 1/2" hose, I better get the 1/2" unit and not try to up or downsize the fittings to match. I don't know if the water metering could be affected by the wrong size unit. But the 1/2" npt X 1/2" barb is sold nowhere but Grainger and only if you ask them for it...luckily. Gotta go pick them up today and then wait for the meter to come in.

Do you know if it has some way to mount on a wall?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
I do not know about wall mounting. My water pump is under the vanity and I keep the reader in the vanity drawer.