Proper outboard for mac 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2012
macgrMacgregor 19 Ventura,Ca
Hello I'm new to this site and am the new owner of a Macgregor 19. The boat is a 1995 and came with a 7.5 Honda four stroke. I am considering options for repowering the vessel. I would like to have the most power available without running into troubles. I know that Macgregor lists the maximum horsepower for this boat at 40. However, when shopping around for this boat I noticed that most of the boats I looked at had 50 hp engines. I'm not sure if this is what the owners found to work best, or if there are many out there throwing caution to the wind. I intend to use the boat for multiple day adventures, which means the boat will be loaded quite often to near capacity. My main concern is not to achieve maximum top speed, but rather to be able to achieve/maintain planning speed without running the engine at too high of a RPM. I'm also interested in mounting the engine to a 10" jack plate to set the motor farther back out of engine well and to have some vertical adjustment. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.