Propeller shaft problem

Oct 29, 2013
Catalina 309 Port Moresby
Fixed

Ya know - I think Sailvayu is right. If the skeg were torqued enough to crack, it would probably be higher up (that's probably solid layup at the bottom of the skeg). Still will need to remove the shaft to get the sleeve out and be sure the shaft is true.
Hi all
although it took a while - waiting for the part to arrive from the States and then getting organised, the cutlass bearing has been successfully replaced.
We used the Careening Stand and Poles at the yacht club and it worked fine.
The replacement of the bearing went smoothly thanks to the fantastic support from Warren Pandy at Catalina. He was extremely helpful and supportive. The trickiest job turned out to be removing and replacing the geared self feathering propeller.

As some astute sailors in this forum noted - the marks on the skeg of the hull were rope burns - they put a fair groove into the fibre glass but no serious damage.

Also the stuff around the fibre glass tube was not marine growth as some thought but rope that had been melted on to it.
The original cutlass bearing was nowhere to be seen - even poking a wire into the skeg - I presume it is still in there as I doubt, on seeing the replacement, that it could have been ripped out. I didn't like leaving the old one in there but until I can get to better facilities (in a few years time) I think it will ride along with us.

I shall stick a few images below of the process.

Attachments

Oct 29, 2013
Catalina 309 Port Moresby
Repaired

The Cutlass Bearing arrived from the States a week or so ago and I put the boat up on the careening stand and poles and changed it.

Waren Pandy from Catalina was a terrific help, font of knowledge and great support.

I enclose a couple of images:

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Congratulations on a job well done! Fascinating seeing the careening process put to use.