Propeller fell off - need size and vendor recommendations

Sep 8, 2024
Beneteau 361 New Haven
Hi all - new to the forum and new to Beneteaus as I purchased one this past June.

For whatever reason, the prop fell off my 2001 B361 last weekend. We were able to sail onto a mooring in New Haven Harbor, which with little wind required an assist from our neighbor in his dinghy. Diver confirmed today that the prop, nuts and key are all gone. I've spent 3hrs this morning looking for what prop I need to replace it. It's a 1 inch shaft propelled by a Westerbeke 30B engine 2.47:1 ratio. Lost prop was a fixed 3 blade and I'm looking to keep the same.

Anyone know the diameter and pitch that are required/recommended. Didn't see anything in the manual, but I could have just missed it.

Once I figure that out, what's the fastest place to order a replacement? I'm seeing Michigan has a wait time of up to 16 weeks. I'd like to be able to get off the mooring and to winter storage using the engine and only have 4-6 weeks to get the new prop on. Seems that Defender/West Marine don't have any sailboat props.

Any thoughts on size or where to purchase? I've been recommended to the Beneteau spare parts site, but I can't figure out how to get in there without having to go to a dealer.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I know you want to stick with a fixed prop, but if you contact Fred at PYI / Max Prop, he can quote you a 3-blade feathering Max Prop for your boat / engine / transmission and can give you the shipping time. When I ordered mine, it was in my hand within a week.

In addition, it is a sweet prop. Great reverse thrust, adjustable pitch, and adds 1/2 knot of speed in lighter winds.

I will PM you Fred’s cell phone number if I can find it…otherwise just call PYI:
  • Toll Free: 800-523-7558

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
In addition to what @Tally Ho has advised, you might want to check your shaft taper to see what damage may have been done. If the previous prop rattled itself off, the taper may have been damaged in the process.

See this article :