Propane

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dick Kilroy

We are installing propane on our 38 and wonder what others have done as to tank instalation and venting. We are aware of the CNG Propane argrument and know we want propane on this boat because of accessability. Thanks

B

Bob Robeson

CNG

Are you replacing CNG? If so, do you wish to sell your CNG bottle? Bob brobeson@quixnet.net

B

Bob Camarena

Propane Locker in Aft Lazzerette

I don't know much about the configuration of the C-38, but I installed propane in my C-30. I bought a self contained locker and tank (Seaward) from West Marine that fit nicely in my aft lazzerette. I vented the locker through the transom with both a high and low vent as specified. I also installed an alarm with two sensors, one just below the hose attachment to the stove and one in the bilge. It wasn't cheap but it's worth the peace of mind.

M

Mike s/v Chute the Breeze

Aft Lazzerette

Dick, My 38 has the propane box in the lazz, I have the small box I think it's like a 5lb bottle.. works fine I don't really use it much. Judy just ruined my day.. I thought I had an auto dish washer in the sink :) Mike

S

Scott Miller

On the rail

I recently purchased a C-38 and removed what I and the surveyor considered an unsafe propane installation from the starboard cockpit locker. According to regulation, propane lockers must be sealed to the interior and open to the outside so that even if they leak, the gas can't enter the hull space. After much soul searching, I had two of the tall scuba-looking tanks (aluminum) installed in a plastic locker mounted to the outside of the stern pulpit on the starboard side. The locker protects them completely from weather, any leaks from expansion or whatever flow over the side and the locker isn't any more obtrusive than the Lifesling mounted on the opposite side. The lockers are available from Sure Marine in Seattle. I'm happy to go into more detail, if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.