Propane Tanks

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Composites degrade from UV. I think their service life is specific unlike steel where as long as the tank meets spec its good to go.....some potential negatives.
Maybe those are negatives for someone... but I (and most boaters) keep these things in propane lockers out of the sun... VERY little U.V. degradation risk... mine probably see 10 minutes of sunlight TOTAL over its entire lifespan. As for service life... if they won't refill my 12-year-old aluminum tank because it is "too old" I can't imagine the lifespan of the composite ones will be any shorter than that...
[/QUOTE]
Just trying to give a negative. Composites have traditionally had a shorter life span than steel and aluminium in most pressure vessels.

Dec 28, 2015
Everything fails, including boat hulls. Does that mean you shouldnt sail your boat unless you pay a marine surveyor to come out every year?
Then you go ahead with that logic and recommend people to potential overfill a lpg tank with your years of knowledge with natural gas.
I'll help....read "OPD Valve Info"

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Then you go ahead with that logic and recommend people to potential overfill a lpg tank with your years of knowledge with natural gas.
I'll help....read "OPD Valve Info"
I was just a suggestion for them to get by until they could recert their tanks. The stuff to do it is readily available. Just because you are not comfortable with doing it does not make it unsafe. By and large, lpg tanks are pretty safe things. The likelihood of OPP and the OFD failure is miniscule. So long as the tanks are good shape the danger is probably similar to filling your car with gasoline. The problems with LPG are generally the distribution system and appliance connections, and then appliance problems themselves. How anyone who has even half an idea about filling LPG tanks could overfill one is beyond me.

Im sorry that we disagree on this, but I dont feel this is misinformation or is unsafe as has been stated. Should the OP do this if they are not comfortable with it? Absolutely not. Does that mean it is not safe to fill your own tanks if you are comfortable doing it? No.

Dec 28, 2015
I think I"m missing the mark still. If I implied the tank will, that is probably remote. The potential of the overfilled tank venting liquid lpg once the product heats up and expands, after you have left it somewhere is highly probable. I think I have beat this dead horse.