Propane Tanks

Aug 30, 2019
Hunter 36 Seattle
I recently purchased a 2005 Hunter 36 and went to have the two 11 lbs propane tanks filled. they tell me that they are out of date and I new to replace them. does anyone know where I can purchase replacements? Any advise would be appreciated.

Aug 30, 2019
Hunter 36 Seattle
Thank Ralph but I come to find out, no one re-certifies them in and around Seattle so I have to drive up near you, Blane or there about's with no guarantee they will pass.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
Find a farm store, farmer coop. They all sell propane and re certify normally for free.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Unsure of the exact date/year, but there was a law change that required tanks to have an upgrade valve, and the lobes of the valve knob design tell you which one you have. Updating that valve usually costs near what sourcing a new (approved) tank would cost. Also, every XX number of years the tank may have to be tested and re-certified, and that might cost 'bout the same as a new tank. If you are happy with the less expensive steel tank, it's likely best to just buy a new one and start over. We had LPG on our prior boat and did have an aluminum tank. Nice not to have corrosion to worry about, but it was more expensive.
The Sea-Tac area is large enough that you should have choices for this work, seems like to me.
(?)

Aug 30, 2019
Hunter 36 Seattle
Thank you FastOlson and Ice Breaker for the information. Dave yes I've seen those tanks but they are 4.25 lbs and mine are stamped 11lbs if I cant get my current ones re certified then I bite hard on the bullet and get the new ones.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I recently purchased a 2005 Hunter 36 and went to have the two 11 lbs propane tanks filled. they tell me that they are out of date and I new to replace them. does anyone know where I can purchase replacements? Any advise would be appreciated.
All propane tanks manufactured after September 1998 have the OPD valve. So that should not be a problem. However, if it is, the new valve is abut $20. Re-certing the tank for another 5 years is $12 in my neck of the woods. A new aluminum 11# tank is in the order of $150; a steel tank is about $45 - I think.
The original manufacturer certification is for 12 years. Subsequent inspection/recert are good for 5 years. There is no limit on how many times a tank can be re-certified.

I find it surprising that you can't find a business in your area that is a full-service propane dealer and who does not re-certify.

Aug 30, 2019
Hunter 36 Seattle
There are several that the web say they do but when you call them they don't but I am still looking I have one tank empty and one half full, so enough for morning coffee for awhile.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Dave yes I've seen those tanks but they are 4.25 lbs and mine are stamped 11lbs
Careful. I believe those are 4.25 lb tanks. The tare weight (empty weight) indicated by a stamped "TW" followed by a number such as "11" meaning the bottle weighs 11 pounds when empty. I think you will find they are Worthington 4.25 lb tanks. Check the physical measurements.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Take them to a local Suburban Propane shop. They will take care of it

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Careful. I believe those are 4.25 lb tanks. The tare weight (empty weight) indicated by a stamped "TW" followed by a number such as "11" meaning the bottle weighs 11 pounds when empty. I think you will find they are Worthington 4.25 lb tanks. Check the physical measurements.
I believe the 36 well is the Same as the 356 and that holds two 4.25 lb tanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I took my tanks to a propane distributor. They serviced the tanks for about $40 a piece. New valves and cert stamp.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Does anyone make an aluminum 4.25lb tank that will fit the 356/36? When I was looking a few years ago I couldn't find one.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Hi IJB,
I just went through the same process for my expired 11 gal tank here in Seattle!! Apparently, they are not very standard. In the end, I bought one on Amazon. Quick delivery, and it was under $50. I had to get a new hose, as I noticed mine was cracking. Fisheries was very helpful. Now I'm in the process of disposing of the old tank. Not so easy. No one really wants them. I'm planning on going to the King County recycling center in Factoria. Hope this helps. BTW -- I was told that any rust on the tank and no one will re-certify them. At the purchase price I got, it seemed a no brainer to go new.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
expired 11 gal tank here in Seattle!!
Is that 11 gal or 11 lb.? 11 gal would be a huge tank, 46 lb.

I wish I had checked Amazon before buying my tank from Defender; maybe I did, and they didn't have 11 lb. steel tanks then? I paid about $100.