Propane Tanks on H320

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Hello,

Post number 2 for the day - sorry.

My 320 has the propane locker in the cockpit in the starboard aft locker rather than under the aft locker at the scoop. The tanks that came with it are 2 5lb steel tanks, but are unusually small to fit the locker. They measure just under 11" tall and just fit. I have another small tank but it is just a little to tall to fit, as are all of the other small tanks I've found to replace them.

Has anyone had a similar problem or located the small 5lb tanks?

Cheers,

Kev
upload_2019-8-9_22-22-9.jpeg

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Has anyone had a similar problem or located the small 5lb tanks?
If the reason you are replacing your existing tanks is that they have expired, can you not get them recertified? There is a place in Chemainus that will do that for you.
My boat had room for 2 small tanks but only came with 1. I purchased the 2nd tank this spring. The shortest tank I was able to find was a Worthington 4.25lb which is 11.75” high. It did fit my locker as it is the same make and model as the 1st. If it will fit, Home Hardware will bring them in for you in a couple of days. The price is outrageous. West Marine also sell them but at $119.99 US dollars. So it seems like a bargain.
https://www.homehardware.ca/en/new-425lb-empty-propane-tank/p/6422882

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Thanks much. I tried the Worthington yesterday and it does fit (barely) so that's great. Although somehow they charged me for 10 lbs when I filled it so I hope it doesn't blow up.

I'll look to get the originals re-done when we're back. Trying our virgin run across the Straight up to Desolation this week. Nervous but what the hell - learn by doing right?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Not that I am thinking of doing it, but since there are a number of cases on the forum, I wonder, if a tank is just a little too tall, can it be trimmed down on the handle to fit? Precautions taken, or maybe if brand new tank.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Not that I am thinking of doing it, but since there are a number of cases on the forum, I wonder, if a tank is just a little too tall, can it be trimmed down on the handle to fit? Precautions taken, or maybe if brand new tank.
I would ask the recertification police before cutting the top or bottom. At the top there is stamped encrypted info about the tank. In fact, I just checked and the shut off handle comes flush with the top of the tank carrying handle. At least with Mark 1 eyeball. So that won’t buy any head room. The bottom may reduce the overall height by 1/2” to 3/4”.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Thanks much. I tried the Worthington yesterday and it does fit (barely) so that's great. Although somehow they charged me for 10 lbs when I filled it so I hope it doesn't blow up.
Complements of Google.
OPD Cylinder Valves. OPD stands for "overfilling prevention device" or "overfill protection device" and is required on all 4 to 40 pound DOT cylinders in vapor service. ... When filling a propane bottle equipped with an OPD valve, the flow of gas stops immediately when the overfill protection mechanism closes.”

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Trying our virgin run across the Straight up to Desolation this week. Nervous but what the hell - learn by doing right?
You should get a great sail across to the Sunshine Coast. We are just making our way to catch slack at Porlier on our last day of a 2 month trip up to the Broughton’s. Have fun.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I have similar tanks. Had both revalved and recertified last year as the new ones were just a bit too tall.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Complements of Google.
OPD Cylinder Valves. OPD stands for "overfilling prevention device" or "overfill protection device" and is required on all 4 to 40 pound DOT cylinders in vapor service. ... When filling a propane bottle equipped with an OPD valve, the flow of gas stops immediately when the overfill protection mechanism closes.”
The device isn't designed as a "fill it until it shuts" device. They fail routinely and the tanks should be weighted when filled.
That being said, they didn't put 10 lbs in your 5 lb tank

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Yeah, I figured. I don't have a scale handy but it feels about right.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Although somehow they charged me for 10 lbs when I filled it so I hope it doesn't blow up.
You were ripped off. I went to a place to have my 11 lb. tanks filled, i.e., topped off, they wanted to charge me their flat rate for filling 20 lb. BBQ tanks. No thanks! That's a ripoff, unles you have an empty 20 lb. tank! Went elsewhere, where they charge by the gallon. Ace Hardware, near me. I only paid for the propane I got. And, he purged the new tanks, free of charge!

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
You were ripped off. I went to a place to have my 11 lb. tanks filled, i.e., topped off, they wanted to charge me their flat rate for filling 20 lb. BBQ tanks. No thanks! That's a ripoff, unles you have an empty 20 lb. tank!
I thank those marinas that provide this service and don't begrudge them a more than fair profit for doing that. Most times when away from your home marina and thus car, transportation is by foot. Many marinas charge in 5lb increments based on tank size not for the propane that the tank happens to take on that given fill up. So empty or not a 5lb tank will cost say $10 to fill. There are fixed costs involved in filling a tank whether it takes 1 lb or whether 5lb. The cost of the actual propane is probably minimal in the total cost of providing that service particularly at smaller marinas..

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I thank those marinas that provide this service and don't begrudge them a more than fair profit for doing that. Most times when away from your home marina and thus car, transportation is by foot. Many marinas charge in 5lb increments based on tank size not for the propane that the tank happens to take on that given fill up. So empty or not a 5lb tank will cost say $10 to fill. There are fixed costs involved in filling a tank whether it takes 1 lb or whether 5lb. The cost of the actual propane is probably minimal in the total cost of providing that service particularly at smaller marinas..
You could say the same thing about gasoline or diesel, and I would disagree just as strongly.

I'm not begrudging anyone a fair profit by paying a fair price!

Regardless, my marina doesn't sell propane. None of the places I frequent have propane available at the fuel dock, or anywhere else on the marina property. so, I always have to "go to town;" except I don't, I fill my two 11 lb. tanks annually. I usually only have to fill one, as I seldom get into the second tank in one season. So, I got get them filled where I am treated fairly, and I pay by the gallon. Just as I do for gasoline and diesel.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Sounds like the 10# was a minimum fee. I usually get mine filled at a local equipment rental place and pay by the gallon. But I usually don't fill them til they're empty, and they're standard 20# barbeque tanks so maybe they do have a minimum, but I doubt it. My previous boat had the little 4# tanks and I took one of them to a dedicated propane place that delivers to homes and the like. The guy there refused to fill it saying it was too small. That was after he walked out to the refill station so he's already invested most of the time he would have spent on a 20# tank
Needless to say I've never been back to that place.