propane tank

Jul 8, 2014
Catalina 30 Tall Rig Larchmont
Good day!

I have a Catalina 30 built in 1984 with the original alcohol stove. Is it possible to convert this stove to propane gas, and if so, can you use a standard propane tank and where is the best spot to located the tank?

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
propane conversion

I have been looking into making this conversion as well. The main issue is that the propane tank must be stored either above deck or in an isolated locker that is vented overboard. If the tank leaks it cannot leak into the boat. You can buy all of these things from West Marine but they are expensive. I am considering making an isolated locker from a large bucket with a lid and venting it overboard via a hose from the bucket to a through hull. As for the tank itself, aluminum will be the best if you are on salt water. the steel tanks will rust.

Jul 8, 2014
Re: propane conversion

Thanks for replying. When you say above deck, can the rear locker in the cockpit be used, where the alcohol tank is now, perhaps with a vent built into it?

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
Re: propane conversion

suggest you check with seaward products, the supplier of the tanks for catalina, and very helpful folk.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
isloated propane tank locker

If you look at a boat with propane the tank is usually in a locker in the cockpit that is completely sealed off from the other lockers and the area below decks with it's own lid. You cannot put the tank in a cockpit locker that is open to below decks. You can install an isolated locker inside a cockpit locker and vent it to the outside. This would be a completely enclosed and sealed container (except for the vent to the outside) with the propane tank inside it. They sell these lockers at West marine but they run about $800 and I am not even kidding.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I have seen old salts also strap propane tanks to lifeline stanchions on the aft pulpit rails. But it is a little unsightly & bulky, but it certainly vent overboard! My suggestion would be what we do: we use a magma type grill mounted to the stern rails, with a small propane fuel tank. This keeps the propane out of the cabin were it doesn't belong, & it also keeps all the hot cooking heat, fumes & grease out of your cabin. Don't know if you've ever cooked anything in a cabin in summer temps, but it gets outrageously hot. The last thing U want to do is make your cabin even hotter for hours in summer temps.
Wet Marine were selling knock off S.S. grills like Magma for around a hundred bucks & can be mounted to the stern rail or stored in a locker when not in use.
In my opinion it knocks out 2 birds with 1 stone. Why make things harder or more expensive then necessary? But then again, many sailors seem to do just that all the time.

Jul 8, 2014
Many thanks to all of you for your comments. I have looked into Seaward and other products and have gotten a better idea of what it takes to convert to propane.

Happy sailing!

Oct 28, 2013
Catalina 30 1978 #980 Catalina 30 1978 #980 Mission beach, California
I have a propane locker on my Catalina 30 the Catalina 30 next to me is using compressed natural gas which goes up instead of down like propane. If I was doing it all over I think I would go with the natural gas rather than propane. Just my two cents.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
FYI: CNG tanks are very heavy & hard to get refilled, not to be confused with propane.

Nov 24, 2011
Catalina 30 San Diego
I have CNG on my boat. It is great! Tank isn't heavy and is stored in the aft cockpit locker. Burns clean and easy to use with out the worry of a "Huge"explosion. As with ALL flammable things on a boat carelessness can be dangerous. Only problem with CNG is finding a refill location. I'm in San Diego and looked everywhere for it. Fortunately I found a fuel dock on Shelter island that will just trade you an empty tank with a full for $35. From what I could find CNG isn't as easy to find as propane however. I've seen some cruisers just mount their propane tanks on the stern above deck.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2010
PM,

I'm not crazy about having bottled gas on my boat. It's the boom factor I don't like.

I use an alcohol stove. It took some getting used to but, it works fine for me. You need to be alittle careful as a flame can be almost invisible at times. I have a small pressurized tank in my stern lazarette that when not in use, I not pressurized.

However, if wanting gas, there are systems that use quick-connect 1lb. cans. Connect & cook, disconnect & store outside. I use a Magma grille & have a magma canvas/zippered bag (holds three). I hang off my stern rail.

Hence, no boom.

CR

Oct 28, 2013
Catalina 30 1978 #980 Catalina 30 1978 #980 Mission beach, California
Propane is heavy and falls to the lowest point, CNG is light and rises upwards. So it doesn't collect in the boat like propane.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Lake Murray Sailing Club
I agree with other post. CNG is safer and hard to find. I have magna grill and use the small green propane canisters. See attached picture. I attached PVC tube to stachion

atpjim

Feb 7, 2014
Catalina 30 Alameda, CA
My 84 has a 1.5 gal propane tank mounted in the rear locker.
It also has a sniffer device that will shut off the gas if it detects a leak.
The sniffer unit has a self test program that will not not allow the valve to open if the test system is not okay.
It does work. The attendant at the marine way overfilled my tank.
After I installed the freshly filled tank, my wife started to cook dinner and the flame just stopped. The alarm was sounding and the red light was on.
I opened up the locker and it did smell of propane.
I took the tank back out, had it tested and recertified. Filled to the proper amount it works great.
I feel good about the system. The insurance company and surveyor signed off on it.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Not that it helps the conversation any, but I'm new and also have a "new" 87 Cat30MkII and I have been using the alcohol stove now for a couple weeks, and haven't found it to be any trouble at all. I have never used one before this. I haven't tried the oven yet, but soon.
I figured out how to light it easily, and cooked with it just fine. My wife enjoyed my bacon, eggs, and pancakes. (i'm the cook, she isn't)