Propane tank on the stern rail- ideas

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
Hi gang,
Wanting hot and cold running water on my 26S for our week-long excursions, I mounted a small tankless propane water heater from eBay (around $58) in the lazerette with a 15-gallon water tank, I might have room to add another 15 gallon tank for a total of thirty. I ran new hot and cold pex pipe to the kitchen sink and added a new faucet, I also added a hand held shower to the motor well. My main question is what do you think of mounting the propane tank on the stern rail so that it is out of the way? Would the added weight create any problems? not that I'm concerned with adding to the tenderness as I don't plan to be out sailing in heavy winds. Any idea if there would be any rule or law issues about a tank on it?

**As far as venting the WH, I just planed on opening the laz hatch when needing to use it. I don't see the need for putting a chimney through the laz hatch as of yet.
IMG_20200422_173433582.jpgIMG_20200422_164045536.jpgIMG_20200422_162111500.jpgIMG_20200422_124617974.jpgIMG_20200421_104422271_HDR.jpgIMG_20200421_103514373_HDR.jpgIMG_20200420_160058261.jpgIMG_20200422_121544382_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I'm no expert, but this doesn't seem like a good idea. Is the laz completely isolated from the cabin? @Maine Sail can probably weigh in far better than me, including discussion of ABYC standards. Good luck!

Jul 23, 2018
hunter 31 aquia
the weight should not be an issue for your trim. since you dont have a propane locker, the rail is really your only choice. you have some ABYC code issues. I dont think the tankless water heater is approved for marine use. make sure your connection to the rubber hose to the tank occurs outside the cabin close to the tank. are you coing to use a remote shutoff valve at the tank? Remember there is a saying that 'codes are written in blood'

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I'm no expert, but this doesn't seem like a good idea. Is the laz completely isolated from the cabin? @Maine Sail can probably weigh in far better than me, including discussion of ABYC standards. Good luck!
Not yet, but I plan on foaming closed the openings at the top where I fished my wires and pipes.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
the weight should not be an issue for your trim. since you dont have a propane locker, the rail is really your only choice. you have some ABYC code issues. I dont think the tankless water heater is approved for marine use. make sure your connection to the rubber hose to the tank occurs outside the cabin close to the tank. are you coing to use a remote shutoff valve at the tank? Remember there is a saying that 'codes are written in blood'
Yes, the tank valve would be the remote/emergency shut off. I planned on using copper right to the tank regulator but put it through a rubber hose to isolate it from the rail. I'm sure the WH isn't CG approved.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
As a side note, the WH would only be used sparingly, it being a luxury for my wife to wash her hair with, the one prerequisite to her coming along on an extended trip. These things only go on when hot water is called for and with only 15-30 gallons it won't be run for long. You would create a lot more co2 in the cabin making coffee or cooking on the stovetop inside.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the exhaust is directly under fiberglass which is flammable. looks dangerous to me.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Here is a recent thread on the topic. I think it has a lot of good info in it.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Propane is heavier than air meaning any leaks will put propane in the lowest part of your boat, so the bottom of your lazarette and maybe the bilge. One spark and... Then there's the carbon monoxide issue, the heater is not vented properly - sitting in a hole with the top open is not a venting solution. If you insist on using this setup, I would make it portable so you can hang the tank and the heater outside on the stern rail while in use and then disconnect the propane tank and leave it outside when not in use.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
BTW: I have an Origo 4000 alcohol stove....

LOVE it!
Here is one on eBay if you are interested. YOu can still buy replacement burners for them.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
Propane is heavier than air meaning any leaks will put propane in the lowest part of your boat, so the bottom of your lazarette and maybe the bilge. One spark and... Then there's the carbon monoxide issue, the heater is not vented properly - sitting in a hole with the top open is not a venting solution. If you insist on using this setup, I would make it portable so you can hang the tank and the heater outside on the stern rail while in use and then disconnect the propane tank and leave it outside when not in use.
Dmax, I didn't think of temporary set up like with quick disconnects and using it outside like hung on the rail but that would be easy enough to change out to and would do away with any fume or gas concerns inside. Thanks, I think I'll do that instead and it would make the laz more storage-friendly if a heat source wasn't down there.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
George - I think if you do that you'll have a really slick and safe set-up with lots of hot water - good luck.

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
my boat came with a seaward propane system, remote valve, lowpoint drain and box type locker in the laz. I pulled it out because I'd rather have the counter space and storage space. was thinking of taking some PVC pipe to make a 1lb bottle holder that uses the lowpoint drain. didn't want to risk the old fixed system

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
Done, it was simple enough to add quick connectors into the mix. This was the better idea for sure because I didn't like the plan of leaving it installed permanently all winter. You can set it up and take down in thirty seconds so it couldn't be any easier and now with zero worries of leaking gas getting down into the boat or any CO issues. I'll use carabiners to attach it to the rail, the romex was handy to try it out :) Thanks again for the idea!

IMG_20200515_161206287_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200515_160655428.jpg
IMG_20200515_160640794.jpg

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Looking good - hot water is the difference between camping and glamping.