CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Replacing the propane system
Would you use copper tube or rubber?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Rubber....... I have redone mine on last two boats and feel quite safe using marine grade hoses and parts. Just my opinion.

Good luck
Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Rubber. Just replaced the system on my boat with Trident hoses and new detector and control system.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Marine rated rubber hose.. Seems like I remember a "standard" (ABYC?, Coast Guard?) that didn't allow connections inside except to the appliance itself?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You local Propane supply dealer will make up the appropriate propane hoses for you.
Jim...

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The flexible hose rated for propane is a composite and is a lot more than just "rubber." Look for the certification printed on the hose. Any good hose shop will have it and can explain it. While having pressed-on ends can speed up the install, be Real Sure you know the exact length of each section.

Last install I did was a few years ago, and high quality ss hose clamps were used on barb fittings.
As noted, you cannot have any hose joints or T's beyond the sealed tank compartment. I made up a brass manifold with a quarter-turn valve for each circuit - cooker and bulkhead heater. The tank compartment will have the solenoid shutoff valve, and often a gauge, as well.
Handy for cooking (and heating) but you HAVE to follow proper install practice. I have seen the "morning after" remnants of a sailboat that had a destructive explosion, and it rivaled anything seen in an action movie.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Only reason i was considering copper is because a local propane dealer told me rubber is not approved to go thru bulkheads

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Replacing the propane system
Would you use copper tube or rubber?
You say, "you are replacing the propane system" what are you replacing the propane system with, that will determine the material required.

Jan 11, 2014
Only reason i was considering copper is because a local propane dealer told me rubber is not approved to go thru bulkheads
The problem with copper is that it will work harden from boat vibration unless it is well secured.

When I installed new hoses I sheathed them with split wire loop to protect agains chafe. When it goest through a bulkhead there is a short conduit or the opening is also wrapped in split loom.

The hoses are not real rubber. And they should be made of CG approved hose with proper fittings.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Like those thru hull fittings will order some
I assume that if you are going to use hose you would need to slide them on before crimping the end fittings

Jan 11, 2014
Like those thru hull fittings will order some
I assume that if you are going to use hose you would need to slide them on before crimping the end fittings
No, the fitting will allow standard size fittings to slide through. I used one where the hose entered the propane locker.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I like the hose better tha copper, but my stove came plumbed with Copper and it hasn’t work hardened in 35 years.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Had a look at the trident thruhull specs says will take copper line up to 3/8 and you have to slide on before flaring tube
Looks like a nice fitting