Propane Stove, H26

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
The PO upgraded the stove to a Force propane unit, which is nice. It came with a 10ft gas hose, regulator, gauge and connectors, which is also nice. What I didn't like was that the hose was just coiled up inside the cabinet under the stove, with one pound propane canisters connected. Looked like a project unfinished and a safety hazard. The propane tanks should be outside.

20160716_192133.jpg

I had to run the hose on top of the aft berth floor, it would be too difficult, if not impossible to run it under the floor. It was a challenge just to get wiring under there.

20160716_181131.jpg

The aft berth cushion covers it nicely though.

20160716_201740.jpg

The gas hose is run into the gas compartment. I used a Vapor-Tight Straight-Thru fitting.

untitled.png

There is a quick disconnect fitting allowing the disconnection from the hose for stowage if desired. I added a gas shutoff valve for addition safety. If there is a leak, the gas will spill out the stern motor well. There's enough room to store a couple extra canisters too.

20160716_191959.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Nice work...

I'm leaving right now for my boat. Replacing the T-bolts on the shroud turn buckles. Someone in the past bent them a little.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Thanks! Good luck with the T-bolt replacement.
I'm going to head out now to work on re-locating the mounting point for my Simrad TP10, to the starboard seat. This will allow more travel. I'll post pic's when I'm done.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thanks! Good luck with the T-bolt replacement.
I'm going to head out now to work on re-locating the mounting point for my Simrad TP10, to the starboard seat. This will allow more travel. I'll post pic's when I'm done.
There is a sticky thread on the owners mod site for Hunter Owners (here) that shows mounting a removable pedestal near the swim ladder. I did the exact same mount for mine and it works fine.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Had a similar setup at one time. Had added a pressure switch in case of a gas leak and only attached the canister while the stove was in use and then removed.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Had a similar setup at one time. Had added a pressure switch in case of a gas leak and only attached the canister while the stove was in use and then removed.
I've had a tank or two that once it was screwed in, then removed it continued to release gas. Happened to me while camping. Had to put the tank off at a distance to let it run out. I think the shutoff valve should do the trick.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Gotta get a couple of those! - Thanks! Didn't know they existed! Makes me wonder if any old bottle cap with the same threads would work.

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 26 Ghost lake
Not to burst your bubble but the brass caps are for keeping debri and water out not gas in. That is what the valve is for. The propane fitting has a Schrader valve inside that opens with insertion of the gas appliance fitting. They tend to leak the more times you use them and need to be replaced regularly. The best is to leave the tank connected until empty or set up a propane gas system as I did. Your local propane repair/install shop can advise you and supply correct gas components so you don't become a bomb. Propane is safe when done correctly to code, dangerous as hell when not. G

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 26 Illinois
The schrader valves fail to seal on these propane tanks more often then I like. I can tell you from experience that the caps always seal and keep the gas from escaping. My guess is that keeping the gas from escaping is what they were designed for but they have lawyers that said not to advertise them as such. Really, the tanks come with a plastic cap already, why pay money for a brass cap that does what the free plastic cap does? I don't like the idea of having the tank attached all the time on a bouncing boat, what if something vibrates loose at the tank or the stove valve. These tanks and the stoves they were made for were designed to sit on a nice stable picnic table.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Hmmm... I think that's a good point John. If the only purpose of the brass caps is to keep debris out, I would agree the plastic caps that come with the bottles would suffice. I see the brass caps have a rubber seal, which I bet would hold the gas in. I always remove partially used bottles from my BBQ and hope it doesn't leak. I would feel much better with one of those brass caps on it.

Apper

Jun 16, 2014
Pearson 32 Lake Huron
If you use the small propane cylinders such as those made by Coleman then here is a simple propane locker you can make for less than $20.00. This locker will store 3 partially full, full or empty propane cylinders. You need 1 30" to 32" length of 4" white PVC tubing (4" id), 1-4" x 1 1/2" fitting with 3/4" hose connection, 18" of 3/4" id tubing, 1- SS screw clamp for tubing, 1 - 4" socket x 4" threaded fitting, 1 - 4" threaded plug, 1 - PVC solvent cement, long nylon quick ties or long SS screw clamps. For this application primer for the PVC should not be required. To mount the completed storage container fasten to a stanchion in the rear cockpit by large nylon ties or multiple screw clamps and hang the tubing over the stern below the gunwale. Having trouble uploading image.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Just a few thoughts. First on the electrical line and I hope everyone uses the correct marine grade, you could pull the carpet away slowly hiding the wire behind and re-gluing the carpet in place preferably on top . In a way the wire would be kept in place and not subject to being pulled even if protected by black plum line just laying under the cushions.

As for propane cylinders stored in gas lockers, that is not recommended due to the volatility of the two. If storing inside the cabin, shutting off and the use of the above caps as a secondary source is a good idea. Some have even put in detectors if staying on board overnight a lot.

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
I would put some kind of brace on tank side of the line, alot of vibration may loosen or break fittings on that long of a pipe sticking

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
my understanding is that the locker needed to be isolated from below deck and vented to an area that wouldn't allow it to "flow" into below deck (i.e. overboard). Additionally you should have solenoid valves at the tank that shut off the supply. One solenoid valve and line for each consumer of gas (separate lines, valves and switches for stove and heater) The switch to turn on needs to be within reach of the device using propane. No break in the line from the tank to the device is allowed (except for gimbaled stoves which can have a short flex line). I need to replace the line to the stove as it is not UL certified for propane which is why I researched all this.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Les. Where can you get an approved line? Next step in my propane stove refit. Figure I need 18 feet to run from stern to behind stove.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Whether you agree with his installation or not you GOTTA be impressed with his clean shiny interior. Even his storage areas are pristine. I'm impressed!

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Just a few thoughts. First on the electrical line and I hope everyone uses the correct marine grade, you could pull the carpet away slowly hiding the wire behind and re-gluing the carpet in place preferably on top . In a way the wire would be kept in place and not subject to being pulled even if protected by black plum line just laying under the cushions.

As for propane cylinders stored in gas lockers, that is not recommended due to the volatility of the two. If storing inside the cabin, shutting off and the use of the above caps as a secondary source is a good idea. Some have even put in detectors if staying on board overnight a lot.
Crazy Dave, I don't know what electrical line you are referring to??? I think keeping the propane tank in the gas locker is ideal. Propane gas settles on the floor, down low and will actually flow out the transom. I have always been told propane should not be stored inside the boat. Reason being if there is a leak it will settle on the floor or in the bilge.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Whether you agree with his installation or not you GOTTA be impressed with his clean shiny interior. Even his storage areas are pristine. I'm impressed!
Well thanks Kermit! It took a lot of elbow grease to clean the inside, it was pretty grungy when I brought it home.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
DougJ; I saw in the first photo a black corrugated tube which is probably the split kind which many use to shield wires with running in the rear berth which cushion is on top. That is not a good idea paticuraly if it was shore power or even DC because if it is pulled out or the cover or shielding broken, I have seen boats brought into my dealership for repairs or partially burned. YOu understand I look for safety in installation. There are two ways. Run that line along the hull secured with silicon once the surface has been cleaned thru the small hole for water to drain into the bilge area under the rear berth in the area of the bilge pump and then underneath the rear berth. Behind the galley wall where the carpet meets the bottom next to the galley wall corner, I use to drill a hole there running the line up behind the carpet. I use to pull the carpet out gently and reglued it into place running it up and behind to the electrical pane. As for the hole being drilled, I was very careful going thru so not to hit the hull and there is some clearance. As for the hole itself I used the smallest of the black corrugated plastic pipe (split) which we in the marine industry referred to a split plumb or plume what ever. I hope this helps. It was clean out of sight and secured
As for the propane, it should never be stored in a gas locker. Anything could happen and prefer those who do that to think of it this way. It is a double whammy should there be an explosion. Some have but using an enclosed safety box for lack of terms vented to the outside

Crazy Dave