Propane solenoid very hot to touch - normal?

Sep 13, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Seattle
Noticed today when I went to refill my propane tank that the metal part of the solenoid used to turn off the gas supply was very hot to the touch. This is the part that sits inside the propane locker and is controlled remotely from a switch in the galley. It had been on for a few hours. I pulled out my multimeter with a thermocouple and it said 50C or 120 F. It's not like it's about to ignite my propane but it seemed surprisingly hot. Is this normal?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Yes, the solenoid gets hot very quickly when open, it is usual to only flip the switch on when actively using the stove. Most have a red indicator light on the switch to remind you, good thing too in my case.:D

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A too hot for the touch solenoid is not normal and a clear sign of impending failure. You may choose to use it until it fails but I would humbly suggest you obtain and keep a replacement handy as any failure in a situation which involves cooking on the water might latter be described as the worst possible timing ever.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Noticed today when I went to refill my propane tank that the metal part of the solenoid used to turn off the gas supply was very hot to the touch. This is the part that sits inside the propane locker and is controlled remotely from a switch in the galley. It had been on for a few hours. I pulled out my multimeter with a thermocouple and it said 50C or 120 F. It's not like it's about to ignite my propane but it seemed surprisingly hot. Is this normal?

The solenoid valve can get fairly hot as the whole principle of the thing working is by creating a direct short. Heat is the byproduct (An electromagnet). When it gets too hot, it will fail.

Seldom do they get too hot to actually touch, but quite often they get too hot to touch comfortably for any length of time.
They do use quite a bit of power when they are on so make sure you shut it off when its not be needed and it will cool down.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
A typical propane solenoid draws about 800 mA when powered, that makes it about a 10 watt load in a fairly small package, so yes it will get quite warm/hot to the touch. That draw on the batteries is an additional good reason to turn it off when you are not actually using gas.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I believe the original intent was for the solenoid valve to be on only when the appliance was being used, hence the remote control at the appliance.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I believe the original intent was for the solenoid valve to be on only when the appliance was being used, hence the remote control at the appliance.
A slight correction. The cabin solenoid switch should NOT be AT the appliance. In case the stove fires up, you want to be able to reach the switch somewhere AWAY from the appliance.

Sep 13, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Seattle
Thanks. I always learn something. Mine said 9.5W on it which does indeed represent 800mA, more than many electronics on board. Another good reason to turn it off.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Thanks. I always learn something. Mine said 9.5W on it which does indeed represent 800mA, more than many electronics on board. Another good reason to turn it off.
Thanks for the great question and answers. I suppose if this was left on, it could deplete the battery to the extent that the bilge won't run.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A faulty solenoid valve will default to the gas Off position by design. In case of a cooking emergency a piece of propane hose with the proper fittings could be used to temporarily replace a fouled solenoid. Just make sure that in case of a flare up in the stove that you can run fast enough to the tank shutoff valve. Went hungry on one occasion because of a failed solenoid and I make sure it will never happen again.