Propane Refridge. Yes or No!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glynn Wilkes

What is your take on a propane fridge. I would like to make ice also.

Jan 18, 2004
Beneteau 321 Houston
The Thought has Occurred to me as well!

Just a few days ago, I put the this very same question to our visiting guest expert on refrigeration. While Mr. Kohlman was extremely helpful to many of us on refrigeration concerns, my query concerning why no one had looked into propane refrigeration, was dismissed with the reponse: "Propane refrigerator are not designed for or recommended for use in boats". I am old enough to remember when gas refrigerators were commonplace in my home town. My parents had one for nearly 10 years. Is it due to some safety that we have not seen these units on boats or is it perhaps a matter of fuel consumption? Would be a boon to to cruisers. Anyone have any thoughts?

S

Steve

Propane Refridge

I have a friend with a Gemini 105 cat. The refrigeration both propane or 120 v AC. In 11 days of continous use less than 20 pounds of propane was used. If a model for a nono hull is available I wouid go for it.

J

John D.

Propane Frig a No Go on a Monohull

In response to Glynn Wilkes, propane refrigeration units must be kept fairly level to operate properly. A catamaran may be stable and level enough where a monohull is not. Do a search on the computer for propane frig manufacturers and you'll find this info in the "small print".

Status
Not open for further replies.