Propane oven will not light (B331)

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Hello all, my propane stove works great in all respects but the oven will not light. I can smell the propane coming through, but no flame.
What am I doing wrong??
Thanks!

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
If there is an igniter pushbutton the igniter itself may have failed and needs replacement.
I don’t have an oven on my boat so I really am just guessing. otherwise it could be similar to the igniter on a gas grill that needs a AA battery.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Make & model would help! Otherwise, since you’re getting smell, there is some propane coming through... after many years on use or non-use the gas conduits could be partially blocked. Try cleaning all conduits.
If it lights with a match or long nose lighter... then it’s the starter. If it lights when you have the oven button pushed down and stops when hou release it it’s the safety thermocouple.
After this I’m stymied!

• Helpful
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
My oven is sometimes hard to light.The line must be purged of air and some propane comes out with it. That’s what you smell. I use a striker; it may take several strikes to light, and then it may not stay lit. Turn it on and let the air/propane run out for 2 or 3 secs, then off for half a min or so. Then on again and strike it. Repeat above if it does not light after a couple of strikes. Off for maybe a minute this time. Once lit you may have to hold down the knob/valve a bit longer than usual to get the gas flowing w/o air in it. It still might go out after several seconds, so watch it. Off again, then on and strike it, etc. This kind of thing also occurs with gas grills.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
When you say "strike it" you mean the button you push in?
I assume the same button lights the burners as the stove?
Thanks!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
When you say "strike it" you mean the button you push in?
I assume the same button lights the burners as the stove?
Thanks!
Well, you can do it that way if the button has a striker built in. Otherwise, use a long-reach propane/butane lighter. Can get one at Ace Hardware. I sometimes call it a “striker.”

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
OK, thanks for all this. I'll give it a try using your method, which I had not used before. It really sounds like it may not light the first crack as the top ones do.

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Make sure you push the knob in and hold for about 1 min. the oven should stay lit then.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
OK, I'll try that. I know it really should be OK, and it likely has never been used!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
On my Seaward Model 1372, the oven does not light with the igniter that lights the top burners. I have to manually light the pilot light which then will light the oven burner.. A pilot is necessary since the main burner cycles on and off to maintain temperature. There is usually a button to push that opens the gas to the pilot which you can then light after holding the button in for 30 seconds or so to let the thermocouple hold the valve open.. The thermocouple is a safety device to shut off the gas if the pilot gets blown out..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I usually light my pilot light with a fire stick. Once the pilot is lit, the oven works fine.

Greg

May 31, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Hi, I’m afraid I have no answers, just a question. I have an Eno 2 ring, grill and oven, and from new the rings and grill perfect, but the oven light immediately but no matter how long I push the button in,as soon as I let go the oven goes out. Any ideas?
thsnks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hi, I’m afraid I have no answers, just a question. I have an Eno 2 ring, grill and oven, and from new the rings and grill perfect, but the oven light immediately but no matter how long I push the button in,as soon as I let go the oven goes out. Any ideas?
thsnks.
Sounds like the thermo couple is bad...it has to sense heat from the pilot light, otherwise it shuts off the gas...safety feature.

Greg