• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Propane outboard??

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Wondering if anyone has a propane outboard, and what are your experiences?

I like the idea that it burns 50x cleaner than gas, and you don’t have to worry about your fuel going bad.

Ive never used an external fuel tank, and I don’t like the idea of a hose running across my cockpit. I think I could get used to the fuel line, but I also can’t find a tank that would fit in my fuel locker, so the tank might have to be in the cockpit as well.

john

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Interesting idea; Lehr are/was making them fueled by a 1 lb propane canister screwed onto the engine. You reportedly can purchase a Tohatsu with a propane line to an 11 lb propane tank. The sail magazine article below might be of interest to the forum.

Feb 19, 2008
Hadn’t thought about hanging it on the rail.
Not sure that’s any more elegant than the cockpit sole.

the 11 lbs composite canister would fit in my locker on its side. You can’t use it on its side, I’m trying to figure out if you can store them on their sides. It seems it would be pretty simple to slip it out of the locker and hook it up.

Jul 1, 2010
Seaward 25, Catalina 350 Erie, Pa
We have a Lehr 2.5 hp outboard on our dinghy. Works great and it goes longer than I ever thought a 1 lb propane tank would ever run it. Unfortunately, Lehr is out of business, and I doubt I can find parts, so I hope it continues to run well.

Jun 15, 2012
Hunter 50 AC Greenport, NY
Seaward 25, I think Lear outboards were manufactured by Parsun in China. Maybe they have parts.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
We have a Lehr 2.5 hp outboard on our dinghy. Works great and it goes longer than I ever thought a 1 lb propane tank would ever run it. Unfortunately, Lehr is out of business, and I doubt I can find parts, so I hope it continues to run well.
Same. The convience of having bottles instead of a gas tank is significant. Mine does take a lot of pulls to get it started after the bottle has been disconnected.

Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
The pulls after disconnect don't have to be hard or fast, seems to just get the air out of the line.

Feb 19, 2008
My understanding is that the mercury (yes, I know it’s made by Tohatsu ;)) has a “burp valve” or some Such. Connect the gas, burp the line, then pull the cord.

Jul 1, 2010
Seaward 25, Catalina 350 Erie, Pa
The Lehr has a purge at the carb for this that you activate by pushing a pin or paperclip through a small hole, but it's so hard to find it's practically useless as I have to get the book out to stare at the picture to try and find it each time.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The Lehr has a purge at the carb for this that you activate by pushing a pin or paperclip through a small hole, but it's so hard to find it's practically useless as I have to get the book out to stare at the picture to try and find it each time.
the 2.5 model doesn't include this in the manual. The regulator has one, it is partially blocked but I'm not going to shove something in there and mess it up.