Propane locker woes

Aug 7, 2015
Oday 34 previous, O’Day 40 current Annapolis
The top edge of my propane storage big has cracked & is generally inop & wont stay in place when loaded. I called D&R last year but they don’t have a replacement. I also tried adding a small, thin alum angle to the side of the box and that didn’t work. I have two questions-
= I’m wondering if I could expoxy in a piece of wood to the underside of the locker and crew attach the locker into the side of it, will it stick? What about JB Weld (never used the stuff)?
= Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Lou

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pictures Lou. They help us understand your challenge. And the are so easy to post.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
You can definitely attach wood to the hull with epoxy or polyester but I would try to avoid that. JB Weld is great stuff, but not for this situation. Your best bet is to build a shelf or a couple of rails underneath the propane storage locker to support it from the bottom. There's a horizontal plywood support just forward of the rudder post you should be able to support one side of the shelf from. If necessary, epoxy a small hardwood block to the hull to support the opposite side. You could then screw the propane locker into the shelf from above. Also, since the top edge of the locker is cracked, expect water to leak there.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Make one. It is just a box with a flange. Maybe starboard and caulk the seams to prevent propane leaking into the boat. You could attach the flange to the underside of the locker instead of sitting on the top if the flange is too thick. G10 or other fiberglass sheet stock might also work and can be epoxied together.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I had the same issue with my oday 34. I did pop rivet aluminium angle to both propane tanks after cutting the old deteriorated flange. It was a tight fit, it does not look "factory" but it did work. I am looking to form new locker liners with matting and epoxy using the tank as my mould over the winter while the boats on the hard. PM me if you want to see photos of the temp fix.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
it does not look "factory" but it did work.
Oh My...:yikes: All mods that happen after the boat leaves the factory are not factory. They may be much better or much worse. But they are what the owner wants. That makes them special.

And some are so much better that they become incorporated into future Factory options. It is the very nature of innovation.

So I say go forth and experiment. It is easier with an old boat than a new off the shelf boat.

I say this after just reading about the Bob Perry decision to move the Head location from mid section to the bow in his 1978 Passport 40 design. While this opened up room for better bunk space it was a design option that had few followers.

Last edited: