Prop walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Allan Lansche

All, I have a 1979 Hunter 30. In reverse, it has severe prop walk to starboard. Can anyone give me suggestions of how to minimize? Another prop? Much more practice in reverse?

J

Jack Laird

A little sidewise

A single screw vessel always moves in the directon the prop turns in reverse. Solution: 1. Add a second engine with a conterrotationg prop. 2. Back fast enough that the rudder has enough water passing over it to overcome the prop (back fast). Don't allow the rudder to hit the stop.

P

Paul Akers

A little rev

As jack said below, I give my boat a "burst" in reverse to gain momentum and then reduce the rpm's. I can then direct the direction with the rudder as it coasts. Remember, you will get more prop walk in the lower rpm's than in the higher.

M

Mark Johnson

Prop walk can be a good thing..

if you make it work to your advantage. I have "slam dunked" my boat into a tight space many a times with the use of "prop walk". You just need to know your boats limitations. Mark Johnson

P

Pat Taylor

I know what you mean

I have a 1975 Hunter 30 that has been repowered with a Universal M25XP diesel and a 3 bladed prop. I would refer to mine as prop sprint versus prop walk. Like others have said, make it work for you. In my case, when I back into the slip, (against the prop walk of course!) I use a spring line to gently "sling" the boat in. When I first got the boat, I used a vacant mooring buoy, as a target, to practice backing. With a little practice you will get used to it. Good luck! Pat Mystic - 1975 Hunter 30

K

Ken Palmer

Yank that dock line

At our marina, we pull forward into our slips. We have pilings at each corner of the stern. When I am ready to back out, I throw off all the dock lines except the aft starboard. I put the boat into reverse, while giving a good tug on the starboard dockline. This straightens the boat out nicely, and as I pass the piling, I place the line on the hook I installed. By the way, my H33 walks to port. Since your boat walks to starboard, hang onto the port line. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty

K

Karl Berntson

Tough docking along side to port

I have the same problem, but am getting used to it. The only time it really bothers me is when I want to dock along side to port, to for example pump out. Now i dock to starboard and drag the hose across instead. It is not a problem when you want to back straight in open water. It stays straight as long as you get up enough speed and HANG on to the wheel. Practice-Practice Regards Karl

J

John

2nd prop walk is good thing

Rather than fight it, make it work for you. A couple years ago at Shearwater next to Bella Bella, the fishing fleet was in and there was no space against the dock. All the boats (commercial fish boats) were rafted out two and three deep. The crews were standing on the dock or sitting on their boats talking and no one indicated an effort to help. There was one space, probably 40 to 45 feet, nestled between the fishing boats which were rafted out. The wind and tide would set me away from the dock. I came in and did a sharp clockwise turn while pointing the bow toward the aft end of the space, turned the helm hard over making an even tighter turn to starboard and shifted into reverse just as the bow was ready to hit the dock The boat slid around and sallied right up parallel to the dock and stopped while my wife and I stepped off the boat (not jumped) and tied her up. Not one fisherman came to our aid but a group sitting and standing around the boat right next to us said what a good job we did docking! I had to thank "prop walk" for without it we probably couldn't have done it. Moral of the story: use it, don't fight it.

G

glen yost

coast it

When backing into my slip, I go past it about 3 slips, go to reverse, get up some boat speed, go to neutral and coast in. Without the prop turning now the boat responds nicely to the rudder. Once in the slip just hit forward to break and you're there!

R

Ray

My 30 does the same thing, but a quick burst of high power then put it in neutral seems to tame the beast quite a bit, a few seconds only of high speed then de throttle and coast, they seem to be much more docile that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.