Prop tops

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CO Editorial

63% of responding Catalina owners have not replaced their factory-standard props, according to last week's Quick Quiz. Is your original prop the best of all worlds, or have you been reluctant to spend the time, effort, and money to upgrade? Prop up your opinions here.

M

mcrahan@powerengineering.com

Propeller for Cat36

I increased the power performance by replacing the 3 bladed original prop with a michigan sailor 15x16 two bladed prop. significant improvements forward and reverse.

C

Chris Bloor

New Prop

Bob put a feathering MaxProp on our C-42 this year as part of the new outfitting for the Mack races. He's noticed a great improvement in speed both sailing and motoring. And the ability to maneuver in tight spots has significantly improved! We did find one potential problem however. We're so used to reverse/forward/reverse etc. for docking with the old prop, that we did the same with this prop. You can't do that. You must stop in neutral -- briefly -- each time. Three of the bolts backed themselves out and the fourth sheared off -- our harbormaster thinks this is the cause. So just a word of caution. But other than that, Bob thinks it was a good expense. I hope so, 'cause it certainly was an expense on a 42-foot boat! Happy Sailing! Chris Bloor and Bob Sheppard Great Escape III C-42 #372

M

Mark Gale

C30

I bought my '83 C30 with a 3-blade Michigan. It seems to give good service, great backing power. I cruise under power at about 6 knots with it. Any other combinations, comments out there?

H

Hayden Watson

Autoprop

I just bought an 88 C30 with the XP25 Universal and an Autoprop. I cruise at 1900 rpm @ 5.8 kts. with no current. The boat will stop from that speed in a boat length. The best part about the Autoprop is the look on the other skippers face when I back straight out of the slip. NO PROP WALK AT ALL!! Hayden Watson S/V Papillon C30 Spokane, WA

S

Steve Magennis

Prop Tops? No Way!

When I bought my 87 C-30 three years ago, the FIRST thing I did was remove the three bladed sea anchor that was preventing me from sailing down wind. I bought a SAIL boat to sail, not to motor. I replaced the three blader with a Martec folding prop. The only down side that I have seen is when I was motoring into a 20 mph head wind with a 6 foot chop, my speed dropped from the more normal hull speed to 2 mph (note, on the Great Lakes, we use statute miles, not Nautical miles). The three bladed prop gave me more acceleration, but no more speed or diesel efficiency. I'm happy that I changed and have a three bladed prop for sale cheap.

M

Mark Gale

Folding

Steve: What's your cruising speed with the folding prop and at what rpm? We make about 6 with our three-blade. The one thing I do like about it is power in either direction in close quarters. We've also had to bash to windward. I can't ever recall dropping below 3 knots. Finally, where do you sail on the great lakes? mark.gale@n-s.com

S

Steve Magennis

Folder's the Way to Go!

In answer to Mark Gale, my speed (according to the GPS, Loran, and Speedo) is 6.8 - 7.2 mph at 2900 - 3000 RPM (nearly flat out) on my Universal M25-EXP. From this, the top end for my Martec folder is as good (or better) than the three blade, but it does suffer when there is significant chop. To get the boat to handle in close quarters, you need to give it a bigger burst of power initially, but you can almost immediately back down as the prop bites into the water. I did notice that when backing out of my slip, there is less of a tendency of my stern to swing to port with the Martec than I had with the three bladed Michigan Wheel prop. From this, I observe that I can back up straighter now than I could before I replaced my original prop. By the way, the Alchemist and I sail out of Holland on Lake Michigan.

C

Clifford Friesen of West By North Enterprises

Campbell Sailer props for Sailboats

West By North Enterprises distributes the Campbell Sailer propeller for sailboats. See our web page at www.westbynorth.com or email us at sailer@westbynorth.com. We can provide a fixed blade two or three(preferrably a three) with low drag and great thrust in forward and reverse. Low hp vessels our specialty. We can also supply The Gear folding propellers and Autostream S Series stainless steel self feathering propellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.