prop speccs for 37'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanda

Sep 2, 2007
- - New Bern, NC
Does anyone know the specs for the prop for a 37' Seidelmann. We currently have a three bladed prop on and it has been suggested it is too much for the boat.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Propellers are sized for the boat speed and the

engine horsepower.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
What else

As a basic and general rule, if the engine will turn max. RPM, the prop is correct. If the engine will turn more RPM than it's rated max, the prop does not have enough pitch. If the engine will not turn up the max rated RPM, the prop has too much. But all these depend on the bottom and the prop being clean and in good condition. I also sail an S37. Engine is a 3GM 20. Three bladed prop. It will turn up 3400 RPM at max throttle. Cruise for me is between 6 and 7 knots at 2600 to 2800 RPM. A dirty bottom, a prop full of barnacles and any other problems on the underside of the boat can have a great effect on performance.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Nice and easy, Do you happen to know the

diameter and pitch? Those are critical in defining a prop. If the pitch is too great you won't have much power but you will have speed, if the engine can turn it. The diameter can be too small and not absorb enough power even when the pitch is perfect.

May 11, 2005
Size & Pitch

Ross, Off the top of my head I don't know what the size or pitch is. I have it somewhere and will try and look it up and post up. It is a three blade, and I should know what the size is, but sometimes the old mind just goes blank. Not like some of you young guys :) who have total recall.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Nice and easy I just checked your profile.

You realy are an old sea dog. I am just a young pup by comparison.;D

May 11, 2005
Old as me

Hell Ross, I checked your profile, and your as old as I am. In the same business as you too, except I might be a little smarter than you. I quit that crap when I turned 65.;D

Status
Not open for further replies.