Prop size for O 322?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a fixed 2-blade Michigan Sailor prop 14x14 R on my O’Day 322 with an 18 HP Yanmar 2GM20F engine.

I am considering a feathering or folding prop for next year.

I have some recommendations from Flexofold, and Maxprop. Both recommend a15” prop.

My boat is in the water and I can’t measure clearances.

Any O’Day 322 owners go with a feathering or folding prop? Recommendations based on your experience?

I don’t motor much (maybe 20 minutes a sail - 10 in and 10 out on a normal sail). I am very interested in gaining a little speed when sailing, and would like a 3-blade in hopes it would have less vibration when motoring. Max prop seems like a good (but expensive) choice. May have to forego the 3 blade to keep costs in check.

Interested in any experiences and detail you want to share.

thanks,

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
What happened to the Campbell Sailor prop which was discussed a few weeks ago ? Not suitable or ............................. ?

I ordered a new prop a few weeks ago from West by North.

Every so often when I have a little extra money and don't know where to squander it, I entertain the idea of a new prop to reduce drag. Then then it hits me. Whereas you use you motor for only a few minutes on each outing, I only use my sails for a few minutes each season as we have less than no wind in the summer.

I don’t motor much (maybe 20 minutes a sail - 10 in and 10 out on a normal sail).

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
We are currently grabbing a bit to eat and then headed to the boat. I have a new optical tach with me to help me analyze the new prop. I like it so far but it does seem a little under sized. I will continue to update this thread.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I don’t know the sizing for an ODay 322 other than to say FlexOFold got the sizing for ours right on, and we’ve been very happy with it both motoring and under sail.

Jan 7, 2011
What happened to the Campbell Sailor prop which was discussed a few weeks ago ? Not suitable or ............................. ?

Every so often when I have a little extra money and don't know where to squander it, I entertain the idea of a new prop to reduce drag. Then then it hits me. Whereas you use you motor for only a few minutes on each outing, I only use my sails for a few minutes each season as we have less than no wind in the summer.
Still pondering options. The main reason for a change is for the extra speed under sail. Not sure that the Campbell Sailor would provide that as much as a folder or feathering prop.

I like the idea of three blades to be as smooth as possible when motoring (which admittedly isn’t that much -unless the wind dies).

The Max-Prop feathering prop is adjustable (pitch). But folding props are not.

My boat is in the water, so I can’t measure clearances to hull, to rudder and to strut without getting wet.

Somcurious what other 322 owners have done….maybe all stilling a fixed 2-blade :(

Greg

Jul 23, 2009
I did a little more testing today. It is a little smoother than the old beat up prop. The prop walk is a little better but only a little. Max speed is down 0.2 - 0.4 knots. Max RPM in forward gear is 3610, I forgot to check it in neutral. I didn't do any sailing today. I'm reasonably happy with the CS prop. I would have preferred not to have lost speed under power but there is no free lunch. It still makes a solid 6.8 knots in good conditions and lightly loaded.

I just realized, hours later, that this is a different thread. Sorry

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Jul 23, 2009
Holy :poop: ! What engine and how many horsepower and RPM ?

Still relevant and most interesting.

I think this is where you wanted to go :
6.8knt is at full power and 3610rpm.
3YM20 20hp.
The old prop would make 7.2knt, the boat was really fighting the bow wave.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I installed a folding prop on my O'Day 322 several years ago. Works fine. They say they give you an extra 1/2 knot but it’s hard to tell.
I don’t remember the brand or size but it has gears to ensure both blades unfold together. One additional advantage: it’s less likely to snag on floating debris. Go for it.

Jan 7, 2011
I installed a folding prop on my O'Day 322 several years ago. Works fine. They say they give you an extra 1/2 knot but it’s hard to tell.
I don’t remember the brand or size but it has gears to ensure both blades unfold together. One additional advantage: it’s less likely to snag on floating debris. Go for it.
I plan to pull the trigger before next year launch. I am hoping someone has some good things to say about whatever they are running, and can verify that a 15” prop fits between the shaft and hull. otherwise, I will wait until I haul out at end of October and measure before ordering.
I should see if I have any photos of the prop…my 2-blade is a 14”, so if there is a lot of room, it will fit.

Also need to see how close to the rudder a folder would get. A feathering prop won’t matter.

My preference (cost not withstanding) is probably a 3-blade Max Prop, then maybe a 2-blade Max-Prop, then a 3-blade Flex o Fold or Gori folding prop, and finally a 2-blade folding prop.

I have crossed Kiwi off the list so far.

Greg

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Good luck! I went the other way on my 322. Boat came with a feathering prop, which was OK, but a bit lacking under power (I don't race, I like to cruise when I can, so sometimes have to motor where I want to go). Anyway, after an episode with some barnacles jamming the feathering action, I decided to go fixed. I went with the Campbell Sailor 3 prop fixed, and love it to death! I don't notice any drag when sailing, but I have much more power when motoring. Reverse can be like slamming the brakes and going backwards so fast crew had to hold on!

Anyhow, sounds like you're going the other way, but for my money Campbell Sailor will help under power, and is designed to be low drag when sailing, good choice for me. Mine was a 3 blade RH 14x8.

Jan 7, 2011
Good luck! I went the other way on my 322. Boat came with a feathering prop, which was OK, but a bit lacking under power (I don't race, I like to cruise when I can, so sometimes have to motor where I want to go). Anyway, after an episode with some barnacles jamming the feathering action, I decided to go fixed. I went with the Campbell Sailor 3 prop fixed, and love it to death! I don't notice any drag when sailing, but I have much more power when motoring. Reverse can be like slamming the brakes and going backwards so fast crew had to hold on!

Anyhow, sounds like you're going the other way, but for my money Campbell Sailor will help under power, and is designed to be low drag when sailing, good choice for me. Mine was a 3 blade RH 14x8.
That is really helpful @Mickstr.

I am surprised that a feathering prop didn’t have bite in reverse. My friend has a Max Prop 3-blade on his Hunter 33, and it stops in 1 boat length at speed.

I am on fresh water, so a little less concerned about stuff jamming up the ring or folding action…but always a good idea to test BEFORE hotting the dock :banghead:.

The Campbell Sailor is a very interesting choice. Simple and safe design. Just not sure what I gain over my 2-blade today…I don’t motor much and am looking for sailing speed more so than power under motor.

Always a compromise !

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the first-hand experience.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In your sailing waters, you are making a great choice Greg!

Jan 7, 2011
I found a new FoF on Craig’s list this week. 2 blade, 14x11. The seller bought 2 for a catamaran, painted them with AF paint, the. Found out that they hit the rudders when folded…so he could not use them. FoF wouldn’t take them back since they were painted.:(

He sold 1, and has one to sell. It is a little undersized for my boat (FoF recommends a 15x11 2-blade or a 14x11 3 blade). But they said it would work…but a bit of a compromise. I made an offer to the seller, but he didn’t bite (Yet).

Left him my number, told him to counter if he was so inclined.

Greg