Prop Shaft Seal Leaking

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
The prop shaft on my 1989 Beneteau First 35s5 is leaking. In fact when it is underway, it sprays water. After running, there is a small stream of water, then it eventually stops, almost.

The engine is a 1989 Volvo model 2003. The shaft seal is a dripless lip seal manufactures by Volvo.

I found some information about servicing this seal by "burping" and injecting grease under the lip. Does this work to stop leaking?

Anyone have experience with this oddity?

Attachments

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Are the engine mounts over a decade old? Original, perhaps? :(
Probably time for new ones, and then do a good alignment. (If there is much shake, most of the "dripless seals" will not like much movement.)
Check with the seal vendor and see what is needed to refurbish it. The PSS shaft seal is much better know in my area, so the Volvo one will want some factory advice for preventative maintenance.
We have a PSS shaft seal installed in 1995, and it has had the bellows replaced twice over the years as a preventative measure. Good product.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Burping and greasing are the correct preventative maintenance steps for the Volvo seal, but they probably won’t do anything for the existing leak. It may be due for replacement, or it may have some dirt under the seal. In the picture it’s a little hard to tell, but is the shaft pitted? Corrosion like that, if under the lips of the seal, could probably interfere with it.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The seals do need to be replaced from time to time, it may be time to replace the seal. The shaft looks like it is pitted with crevice corrosion. Time to pull the seal and the shaft for close inspection. It doesn't take much crevice corrosion to significantly weaken the shaft.

While the shaft is out and being replaced, consider other shaft seal options. The PSS Shaft seal from PYI works well. Tides marine also makes one.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you are considering any offshore sailing, you might want to chuck the dripless for a standard packing gland. Should a dripless develop a leak, which I admit does seem to be rare, but it does happen, the only remedy is to haul out (a bit difficult offshore). A standard packing gland can be tightened and/or repacked at sea.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
The Volvo shaft seal is about as reliable a dripless seal as you can get, but it looks like your shaft and seal have been greatly neglected. If your seal is leaking that much, you are going to have to replace it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the shaft was shot, too. I would certainly go back with a Volvo seal, both to keep from overcomplicating things, and just because it's a good product. I've had my boat and Volvo seal for nine years now with nary a drip, just greasing it annually.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the shaft has some pitting...this could keep the seal riding tight on the shaft, and allowing speaker to pass.

run you hand over the shaft near the seal and see if it is rough.

Greg

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Beyond the questions above. Is there vibration when underway? Is there any alignment issue with the shaft and motor? The prop have any issues? (What type of prop?)

Is that "Richmond" California, or? I assume the boat isn't on the hard?