Prop shaft seal "alignment", can it be corrected?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I've been chasing the source of water entering my bilge for a while now. I think I may have found it, I'll be testing my theory this coming week. But in searching for that source, I've noticed something else, the seal on my prop shaft seems to be misaligned. When I look at the prop shaft and the seal, the seal is obviously at a slightly different angle than the prop shaft itself. The seal also appears to be showing signs of wear where the misalignment is putting pressure on its forward edge. If the seal is just held in place by two clamps, can it be realigned and will it continue to do its job and survive? Or, is this one of those things that I should have been looking for a couple of years ago, and is it time to put a project list together and have it hauled out and the seal replaced?
Thanks!

Nov 21, 2007
All right, I'm getting part of my answers from the manual (RTFM), alignment is "critical", and replacement is recommended every 5 years or 500 engine hours... just about there on both counts.

Feel free to ignore this thread, or, turn it into your favorite RTFM/I should have know that story. :facepalm:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We've all been there with the RTFM.

What would be helpful for the rest of us are a few photos and knowing which prop seal you are using.

Nov 21, 2007
Yeah, maybe I'll take a photo or two tomorrow, although... that involves tearing the bedding up, and we're going out for a couple of nights. It's just a Volvo Penta shaft seal. And, I don't just ignore it. I check it out every fall, and every spring. I just looked at it this time and saw something a little different, and then asked the question before I read the manual. Since it's basically just a solid piece of rubber, held in place by a clamp or two, it doesn't surprise me that it could be misaligned. It does surprise me (a little) that I didn't notice it before.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
If this the Volvo lip seal it should be greased at least once a year by putting some grease on the INSIDE of the visible lipseal. Best way to do this is by taking a drinking straw, cut it in half and fill with a water resistant marine grease (should be easy if it is in a tube/cartridge). Press the end of the straw under the lip and press all the grease from the straw inside the seal. That is all for a year of trouble free boating. Oh.... and also don’t forget to "burp" the air out of the seal after a haulout!