Prop Shaft/Rudder

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
How did you remove the bulkhead and more important how did it go back in?
It was pretty easy. I'll take some pics tomorrow night when I get down there so it makes more sense.

I stand corrected with my "absolutely not" comment regarding the shaft. Apparently it will work....it just did not for me. I tried to line it up when the bearing was out but didn't mess around with it too much when it didn't immediately fit....may have saved me some time if I'd have done so!! Either way, if it doesn't work for you, the two other alternatives will! Plus, ended up realigning the engine and cleaning up the bulkhead while it was out so it wasn't all a waste of time!

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Very nicely done....if we were keeping the boat that is an upgrade I think I would add.
How did you secure panel so fairly easy to remove? Really a nice
job which I would like to duplicate.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
To remove the bulkhead, unscrew the wood trim at the engine and head bulkhead junction. You don't have to completely remove the screws. Unscrew the three screws on the SB side of the engine. Remove the trim in the aft cabin. Then the bulkhead will move forward and lift out. To put it back in, I just used a mallet and lightly tapped it back into place.

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
How did you remove the bulkhead and more important how did it go back in?
It doesn't appear obvious
Thanks
Peter
You remove the screws running through the bulkhead (at the top and on the bottom at sides), and the wood trim pieces behind the bulkhead in the aft cabin. This, of course, is after you have removed the coolant tank and the hose brackets on the front of the bulkhead. Pulling forward and upward on the top part of the bulkhead should get it to slide upward. Its a tight fit with the mixing elbow putting pressure on the bulkhead. Installation is, as they say, the reverse procedure.