Prop shaft for 1990 Hunter 42 Passage

JohnAC

Nov 16, 2018
Hunter 42 Passage New Bern
Looking to find out the length of the prop shaft on my Hunter 42 Passage, think mine is bent and will cost as much as a new shaft and coupler to have it checked out, might as well just get a new shaft and coupler and pull the boat once, also need cutlass bearing, anyone know the specs.

Thanks in advance John

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
Looking to find out the length of the prop shaft on my Hunter 42 Passage, think mine is bent and will cost as much as a new shaft and coupler to have it checked out, might as well just get a new shaft and coupler and pull the boat once, also need cutlass bearing, anyone know the specs.

Thanks in advance John
John - I pulled my propshaft a couple weeks ago - it's currently at the machinist getting a new coupler fitted/faced. Fortunately my shaft isn't bent. If still needed, I can measure it once I get it back from the shop. I pulled the shaft to replace the stuffing box hose (which looked original). The hardest part of the job was getting the old coupler off.

Perhaps you can leverage my research:
Cutlass Bearing - (I got from this site -and fits perfectly - SKU 11671
Coupler : Buck Algonquin 50MCY005 (for a 1 1/4" shaft with a 5/16" keyway) this is the solid coupler.
My stuffing box uses a 2 1/4" ID hose

JohnAC

Nov 16, 2018
Hunter 42 Passage New Bern
Thanks, when a head and ordered Shaft, Coupling and bearing, guess we will see.

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
For the record - the propshaft on my 1991 Passage 42 is 62 1/2 " long. The boat has the original 4JH2-TE motor and KBW20 transmission.