Prop shaft diameter & packing size

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
I want to be ready to change my prop shaft packing. Is the size the same for all of the 9.2 models? If so, can anybody tell me what size I need? Also, I believe my shaft diameter is 1 inch but just want to confirm that measurement also.

I intend to have the boat pulled sometime in the next 3 months (as long as the ice melts enough to move her) so I can install the new Beta Marine 16 that I ordered today (YIPPEE for me) and also change the packing. I can't wait for SPRING!!!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
congrats gary.........was your old engine fresh water cooled or raw water cooled

opps almost for got when you order it the suplyer will be able to tell you what size packing you need when you tell him the shaft size

regards
woody

May 2, 2008
The old 2QM15 was salt water cooled (that may have led to the problems I had). I will be trying to sell, for parts, any/all of the Yanny. As for my original question - I don't think the new engine has anything to do with the packing on the stuffing box so I still need to find out the size (unless I am totally clueless and missing something).

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Definitely a 1" shaft and from what I recall 1/4" is correct. Sounds like you decided to go with a direct replacement and a do it yourself approach. You will be gaining a couple of HP and better maintainability too. I never could figure out why they made the 2QM15 with a rear facing water pump. I wouldn't mind scoring some parts. Let me know when and what you are ready to sell.

May 2, 2008
Bob, thanks for the info. Yes, I decided that this seemed to be the best choice. I've been doing a lot of brainstorming, trying to figure out how to 'manhandle' the old out and the new in. I will probably be asking advice about the alignment but I want to actually see things first before I start concerning myself with that.

As for parts, let me know what you are interested in. Fellow Forum posters will have priority.

Feb 8, 2010
Newport 16 Macon,Ga
" I've been doing a lot of brainstorming, trying to figure out how to 'manhandle' the old out and the new in."

When I replaced the Volvo MD7-A in my 9.2C four of us manhandeled it out of the engine compartment and over the galley counter. (after removing everything I could get a wrench on) then winched it out using the main halyard and onto the dock. The new one went in the same way, except I sectioned a piece out of the bulkhead :eek: so I could slide it down the passageway.

May 2, 2008
I have taken the starter, alternator, head and exhaust manifold off so it should be much lighter and easier to lift. I'm hoping that by lifting it with 1 or 2 boards (using the lifting rings), 2 of us should be able to do it with a 3rd guiding it. The new engine (Beta 16) weighs just over 200 lbs. so shouldn't be too bad.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Good luck Gary. Be sure to stretch out your back before you attempt this.

Jan 17, 2010
S2 9.2A Wickford, RI
Hi Gary,

Are you going with dripless packing? If so, where do you order it? I need to repack this spring as well.

Thanks,
Joe

May 2, 2008
I never considered going 'dripless', mostly because of the cost. I just plan on replacing the packing.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I never considered going 'dripless', mostly because of the cost. I just plan on replacing the packing.
I think what he possibly meant was a drips-less packing such as Gore GFO.

The only place I know of to get genuine Gore [SIZE=+1]GFO®[/SIZE], and not a hybrid made with "Gore fibers", is straight from e-marine.com (LINK).

Jan 17, 2010
S2 9.2A Wickford, RI
That's it! Thank you.

There is also teflon packing which I believe gets sandwiched in between the PTFE layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.