Prop Recommendations for '91 Hunter 30T?

Mar 17, 2023
Hunter 30T Bay Point Marina
The 2-blade prop that was on my H30T when I bought it in May doesn't seem to be performing well according to postings I have read for this boat. Can someone recommend 3-blade alternatives (size and pitch) and where to buy them. I have read about Campbell Sailor Props, but it appears that West by North is no longer on the Internet.
Thanks!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Most prop manufacturers, like Michigan, have a formula on their web site to size a prop to your boat. However, you will need to have all the necessary specifications on the boat, engine and reduction gear ratio for you to input.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
Not sure what happened to West by North. Too bad if they’ve gone out of business. I replaced ours with a Campbell Sailing prop several years ago….works great.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not sure what happened to West by North. Too bad if they’ve gone out of business. I replaced ours with a Campbell Sailing prop several years ago….works great.
Someone on the forum just got a 3-blade Campbell Sailor….hopefully they can confirm that West by North is still around. I get some weird code errors when I pull them up. Maybe they just need to reset their server or something.

I am researching a folding prop for my O’Day 322, and all of the prop manufacturers will make a recommendation for their specific prop…you provide engine, HP@xmax rpm’s, gear ratio, current prop type, size and pitch.

Greg

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
West by North was still in business as of a month ago, although they didn't respond to my last email (it really didn't require a response).

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
If your going to spend money on a new sailing prop, spend more on a folding or feathering prop. I love my Brunton H5

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
It would help if the OP narrowed down his prop requirements/wishes. Currently it is open to many many recommendations where the sky is the limit . . . aka Autoprop by Brunton.
For years, I hummed and hawed trying to find reason to replace my 2 bladed fixed prop with either a folding or feathering 3 bladed prop. I thought I had a J Prop all lined up but frustratingly that fell through. In the end, I just could not find reason to layout $2.5K to $5K on a prop for my cruising needs. I ended up with a 3 bladed fixed prop ($325) from Boat Propellers - New Boat Props for Sale - Get A Prop (and for whatever reason it is also named Olympic Propeller Co. – Anacortes, WA ). Finanacially it was no big whoop. I am satisfied with the way it punches through the slop out in the Strait of Georgia and Juan de Fuca and don't see a noticeable difference in sailing speeds. But man it sure is fun to spend someone elses money.

Mar 17, 2023
Someone on the forum just got a 3-blade Campbell Sailor….hopefully they can confirm that West by North is still around. I get some weird code errors when I pull them up. Maybe they just need to reset their server or something.

I am researching a folding prop for my O’Day 322, and all of the prop manufacturers will make a recommendation for their specific prop…you provide engine, HP@xmax rpm’s, gear ratio, current prop type, size and pitch.

Greg
Thanks Greg. Yeah, I got that strange code error too. I appreciate your suggestion!

Mar 17, 2023
Most prop manufacturers, like Michigan, have a formula on their web site to size a prop to your boat. However, you will need to have all the necessary specifications on the boat, engine and reduction gear ratio for you to input.
Thanks!

Mar 17, 2023
It would help if the OP narrowed down his prop requirements/wishes. Currently it is open to many many recommendations where the sky is the limit . . . aka Autoprop by Brunton.
For years, I hummed and hawed trying to find reason to replace my 2 bladed fixed prop with either a folding or feathering 3 bladed prop. I thought I had a J Prop all lined up but frustratingly that fell through. In the end, I just could not find reason to layout $2.5K to $5K on a prop for my cruising needs. I ended up with a 3 bladed fixed prop ($325) from Boat Propellers - New Boat Props for Sale - Get A Prop (and for whatever reason it is also named Olympic Propeller Co. – Anacortes, WA ). Finanacially it was no big whoop. I am satisfied with the way it punches through the slop out in the Strait of Georgia and Juan de Fuca and don't see a noticeable difference in sailing speeds. But man it sure is fun to spend someone elses money.
Thanks!

Mar 17, 2023
Thank you!

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I got my used Autoprop H5 for $500. They are out there.