Prop- 3GM in H33?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Lust

I've just bought a lightly used Yanmar 3GM (24 HP) to replace the 2GM (15 HP) in my 1983 Hunter 33. (Yes, there will be a perfectly good 2GM for sale.) I want to know if anyone else at the site has a 33 with a 3GM and if so what propeller is used.

S

steven f

three blade

I have a h33 with a Westerbeke 21hp. I have a three blade prop that has been repitched by tht prevous owner. I will be glad go write back with the exact prop pitch and size (short on time right now). The three blade pushes the boat very well, even against the wind/waves. I can at least make headway in 25kts head wind/waves. When sailing there is some drag but I cant compare it to a folding prop since this boat has always had this prop on it.

S

Stephen Ostrander

some ?s

Sam, did the 3GM bolt right in, or did you have to mess with the mounts? Is there plenty of room for the 3GM or will it make it that much more difficult to service the engine? Any idea how much more the 3GM weighs over the 2GM? Inquiring minds want to know.

S

Sailor Jon

3 blade prop.. Martec

I replaced my 15inch x 14inch pich right handed 2 bladed prop with a 3 bladed Martec feathering prop.. it has an adjustable pich and I have increased the pich.. I also have the 3GM and in my 33.5 (1993). I really like it.. it was about $1500.. the key is to find out what the top rev of engine is.. I think the 3GM is 3700 and the prop should limit the rev's to that .. Mine stops at 3500. So I am a little over piched.

S

Sam Lust

Engine swap: 2GM/3GM

I don't yet have posession of the engine. Should get it by the end of next week and hoist it up into the cabin so it will be aboard when the boat is pulled out of the water. I'll then have all winter to play with it and numerous other projects. The 3GM is essentialy a 2GM with an extra piston. Weight for the 2 is listed at around 250 while the 3 is 300 pounds. Not enough to worry about on this boat, and my bow sits a little down anyway. Rear engine mounts are within 10mm (about 3/8") of the 2GM's. I should be able to fudge that one with shaft position or at worst drilling a few new holes. (Nothing new for me!) The front mounts are about 4" further forward and I'll have to drill new holes for the mount bolts. The front drive pulley is that much closer to the batteries but it is more than workable. It appears the 33 was designed with the 3GM in mind because it seems to be laid out for it. I've looked at a 33 with a 3 in it and you'd barely notice the diference if you didn't know it was the bigger engine. I don't forsee any major problems at this point, (famous last words!) and I have a few friends who owe me favors of the muscular type so it shouldn't be a problem to horse the 3 into place. Last winter I cut the port side engine box panel in three pieces so access is quick and easy. I think maintenance on the three will be easier if anything. I'm planning on taking pictures as the project progresses and will post to the Foto Forum if anyone's interested.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
How much for the 2gm?

Sam: How much are you asking for the 2GM? How many hours are on that motor? Are you selling with the transmission? Steve Dion

Status
Not open for further replies.