ProNautic 1230P installation in Beneteau 331

Jul 14, 2020
Beneteau 331 Lake Conroe
I am in the process of upgrading my battery charger to a ProMariner ProNautic 1230p.
I am a little confused about the two chassis grounding wires. “boats bonding system”?
This is the installation instruction;

3. Ground - This is extremely important and often overlooked. There is one common battery ground with the positive battery connections on the ProNauticP. There is also a “Chassis Ground”.
a. Battery Negative - As shown in the diagram, this is connected to a bus bar or terminal stud (not included) that can handle, at a minimum the amperage of the charger output (1260 = 60 amp minimum). This conductor shall be of equal size to the DC positive conductor chosen above. The battery negative terminals are connected to this bus bar or terminal stud.
b. Bonding Stud A.K.A Chassis Ground - This stud is connected to the boats bonding system as well as the bus bar or terminal stud mentioned above. This conductor is permitted to be one size smaller than the DC positive conductor chosen above; in the case of a DC to the case fault, this conductor is critical in carrying the fault current to trip the fuse or breaker, the AC ground CAN NOT handle high DC amperages.

6E02404C-2DDF-4EC5-A6C1-2E568F17AF73.png

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
My B373 has no bonding, as do most if not all Beneteaus. Looks like you can just connect to the negative bus.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'd have to go out to the boat and see how I grounded mine. I have the Sterling equivalent to the ProNautic

What made you decide to go with a 30amp unit? Mine is 40amp. I have 3 batteries. 2 house and 1 start. I have to stay on top of my fridge's 12v demand. It's not much though.

Jul 14, 2020
Beneteau 331 Lake Conroe
I'd have to go out to the boat and see how I grounded mine. I have the Sterling equivalent to the ProNautic

What made you decide to go with a 30amp unit? Mine is 40amp. I have 3 batteries. 2 house and 1 start. I have to stay on top of my fridge's 12v demand. It's not much though.
yes please do show how you grounded yours. Promariners customer service recommended the 30amp unit. I upgraded from a 20amp charger that had problems keeping up with the fridge. Fridge off, all good. Fridge on, batteries not charged properly.

Jul 14, 2020
Beneteau 331 Lake Conroe
I did add two 40a fuses next to the battery disconnect switches So am pretty sure all good except for the chassis/case ground..
8EF80FE2-7CBA-4C9A-A108-067CDDAE77F1.jpeg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Jul 14, 2020
Beneteau 331 Lake Conroe
It won't be until the weekend.
Meantime, Main Sail's article may help
the link you put up is for a DC to DC charger I am charging AC to DC. I found what I think you meant to post;

8B27453A-4931-4817-AAB5-F885A89EADA5.jpeg

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I have the same charger and ran a #6 green from the chassis to a bolt on the engine block. I upgraded from the original Beneteau 20amp too . I have 3 batteries all AGM , one output fused at 30 amps to house batteries and one fused at 30 amps to start battery. 2x 4d house and one 31 all lifeline and have never had any problems .
With that charger when plugged in your fridge will run off charger which is 6amps , it only uses the batteries when unplugged , which I have 300 watts of solar

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Nigel Calder says it’s an ABYC requirement for the case to be connected to the “DC grounding system”. He shows it just connected to the same ground bus as the rest of the DC circuit. He also says it’s often omitted accidentally or for galvanic isolation purposes, but omitting it could be dangerous in some fault conditions.