Projects update with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Since my river home is up on a hill, I was able to use a spotting scope and view the mast head. It would appear that there is the receiver for the wind transducer already mounted. (looks just like Paul’s) so the boat must have been originally commissioned with the wind instrument, but the controller was never added.
I found this on the web concerning compatibility:
Wind
coinciding with the introduction of the ST60 Plus instruments, Raymarine replaced their long-lived wind transducer, or masthead unit (MHU). The new design can be identified by an egg-shaped pod rather than the classic cylindrical pod (ours appear to be square?). Because the electrical and mechanical connections of the new MHU arm maintain compatibility with the classic design, it is possible to refit an older system with the new MHU, and to use an older MHU with the new instrument. However, a change in the design of the anemometer cups has resulted in their rotating at a speed 25% faster than those of the classic style. For this reason, care should be taken to ensure proper calibration of the instrument. The following table provides the standard calibration values for the various instrument/MHU combinations.

I re-checked the wire at the base of the mast support and it is (“4) wire with a shield, making (5) conductors. It is just like the wire Raymarine provided with my new ST60+ Wind. So with any luck all I should need to do is to plug the transducer in, do the Cal. And it should be up and running.

We launched on Friday no problems with the new goretek packing, but it did drip black a few times. I’m assuming that is just some of the graphite oozing out.

The Pick are as follows:
1) New instrument cluster setup: The C90w just fit in the GP1040, but it was tight. I had to remove some of the extra plastic that was molded onto the end of the connector.
2) Course computer mounted
3) Fluxgate mounted
4) RPS mounted
5) Wheel motor mounted
6) New main sheet cleat: Base made out of Corian
7) View from my Elk River property
8) View from W.E. of our property.
9) Mooring transport module, we get some pretty funny looks, but it works great!

I still need to do the Cal. On the A.P., but it would appear that it is basically working, senses RPS, Shows heading albeit 180deg. off (probably because it is mounted facing aft), motor is reacting as expected to + and – commands.
Cheers,
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.