• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

    Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

    Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

    Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Projects Update on my 88 Wing Keel

Sep 24, 2017
50
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
LED Lamp Upgrade - Replaced all navigation lamp bulbs with LED bulbs from Catalina Direct. In the process, discovered the anchor light held together with electrical tape. When I removed the tape and the lens, found no bulb and the metal lamp support/conductor broken off. Bought a new anchor light from CD and installed with LED bulb. Also found the mast plug to be in pretty bad shape with all of the wires broken except one. Replaced the plug and deck fitting.

Replaced the bulb in two of the interior square lights with LED bulbs. The third light by the mast support was corroded although I could not find any signs of a leak, seemed more like condensation???. Replaced the light with one of the new versions from CD.

Mast Mounted Antenna - As stated previously, was able to run the antenna wire in the mast pretty easily. Took the antenna bracket to work and drilled the hole for the shroud bolt to pass through, drilled the bracket bottom screw hole in the mast and mounted the bracket, drilled the hole for the coax and strain relief screw. Just need to put on the connector and antenna to finish. I need to borrow a solder iron/gun.

Tried to fish the interior coax down the mast support with no success. Tied a wire to the cabin light wire and pulled it back but it was getting hung up on the exit hole of the support which is hidden behind a fiberglass wall behind the sink. Decided there was no way I could get the existing cabin light wire and the new coax back up the through the small hole doing a 90 degree turn. The deck/mast cable is also in the same hole.

Routed the cable around the interion using the curtain slides as a path to minimize the cable visibility. Mounted the radio and made up the power connections. Again, still need to make up the coax connectors and Drill the deck for the cable pass through fitting.

GPS - Working on a replacement lower (fiddle board?) to mount my GPS. Don't want to cut a hole in the existing one. Using some 3/4 inch plywood. Will stain and varnish once I get everything cut and fitted. I plan on storing it on the port aft bulkhead next to the hatch. If I turn the board upside down, it fits on that wall perfectly.

Motor - I have a 2012 9.9 Honda outboard. It runs great but doesn't idle. Wanted to work on that issue as well as changing the oil and lower unit fluids. Found the engine wouldn't pump water. Removed the lower unit to access the water pump and found the impeller shot. Order a new impeller kit and wait...….

Installed the impeller (3 times) when I realized I forgot the metal plate. :banghead:. Pump works great now.....
Tinkered with the carburetor, taking it apart, cleaning with carb cleaner, trying to find all the little jets and needle valves. Ended up breaking a little needle adjustment screw trying to remove it to clean it.:soapbox: Ordered a new carburetor. Hopefully this will fix the idle issue...theres a reason I never became a mechanic...

now its :beer: time!
 

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
2,881
1988 Catalina 22 central Florida
Nice laundry list! :beer:

What's in the wooden box by the fire extinguisher? The ugly side of a compass?
 
Sep 24, 2017
50
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
Another item I worked on was the spreader boots. Existing was a wad of old electrical and duct tape. The problem is I have never done spreader boots before so I just did what I thought looked kinda right. Before, the cable would move easily thru the wad of tape. Now the cable is very difficult to move which seems wrong to me.
The kit included waxed string and self adhesive tape. I wrapped all three ends with string and then covered with the tape.
What do I need to do?
 

Attachments

Apr 11, 2017
432
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Another item I worked on was the spreader boots. Existing was a wad of old electrical and duct tape. The problem is I have never done spreader boots before so I just did what I thought looked kinda right. Before, the cable would move easily thru the wad of tape. Now the cable is very difficult to move which seems wrong to me.
The kit included waxed string and self adhesive tape. I wrapped all three ends with string and then covered with the tape.
What do I need to do?

I believe mine had a cotter pin at the end of the spreaders, that holds the upper shroud in - and keeps it from separating from the end of the spreader. The cotter pin still lets the shroud slide through the spreader tip - is it just your spreader tape that's keeping the shroud from slipping?
 
Sep 24, 2017
50
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
Yes, mine has the cotter pin also. The problem seem to be after you secure the boots the cable does not move freely. In trying to keep the cable in the split boots you tend to wrap to tightly. I'm assuming I'll have to redo them and try to keep from wrapping to tight.
 
Sep 24, 2017
50
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
Got the new carburetor today. Probably took all of 20 minutes to remove the old one and install the new. Pump the fuel bulb and started on the second try. Once it warmed up, it dropped down to idle speed. Was a little fast but adjusted the throttle cable idle screw and it slowed right down. Purrs like a kitten. :clap:
 
Sep 24, 2017
50
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
Its just of piece of finish grade 3/4 plywood. Stained and varnished. It would have been nicer to use a harder solid piece of wood. The plywood was really to soft but I just needed something quick and easy. I think the varnish can make anything look nice.
 
  • Like
Likes: Hardhead