Projects: Bow Roller-Main Sail Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
There is a cleat inside. The roller I designed is in a U for structural strength. And The whole boat is made of plastic anyway. I could make the bow roller out of 3/8" SS, but it still has to bolt to plastic somewhere.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Two questions for Mainsail.
1) In your picture I see what appears to be a manual windlass. Is it and do you like it? I was thinking of putting one on my boat.

2) That looks like double braided anchor line. I bought the same or similar Sampson line for my boat. How did you mark it for depth? Another words, how do you know how much you've deployed.

http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?ind=1&app=5&rope=231&inst=1

Sorry Hermit, I don't want to hijack your post.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Using a Bridle

Often when I anchor I use a bridle so that the anchor line is pulling from directly in front of the bow instead of cleating to one side making the boat sail. I also use an anchor riding sail to keep her pointed into the wind. Any thoughts on using a bridle MS or others? This is mandatory when tied to a mooring so the mooring line doesn't chafe on the anchor onthe bow roller.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I had enough sunbrella from a large boat cover I had, to finish a main sail cover. ( you could literally poke your finger through the brittle old material of the old one)The material feels like an old pair of blue jeans. But it's bright blue and feels strong.

I ordered some new sunbrella but it feel almost like tarp material. Is this how new sunbrella feels? It feels alot like my sails. Does it start to feel more fabric like as it ages or did I acidentally order something else?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I don't like the steel twist locks that the old one has to secure it. They seem to be designed to cut through the fabric in high winds. What is the best way to hook the cover together under the boom?
You may want to consider using a fastener as shown. I couldn’t think of the name of them but I have seen that in one of my canvas books. They are made up of ¼ ‘’to 3/8’’ dowel and small cordage or bungee.
IMHO it lends a more traditional look, besides being a lot cheaper.
I couldn't find a picture of one so I drew one worth 50 words.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.