progressive insurance opinions

Oct 11, 2019
Catalina 30TRBS New Bern
Need to get insurance on my Catalina 30, progressive is offering (agreed value 18k+1k personal effects) for 416/year. comes with a "sign and glide" on water towing...is this Boat US? Who has this type of coverage and is happy/unhappy with.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Need to get insurance on my Catalina 30, progressive is offering (agreed value 18k+1k personal effects) for 416/year. comes with a "sign and glide" on water towing...is this Boat US? Who has this type of coverage and is happy/unhappy with.
BoatUS insurance is underwritten by GEICO. As for the "sign and glide" towing option, that's a good question to ask the company. It could be Towboat or Seatow or perhaps other services.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
To. be clear, “agreed value” is not the same thing as “replacement cost” insurance.

In other words, the underwriter will not necessarily reimburse you for that amount and you may be paying for a value you will never realize. Learning the difference is important when choosing the type of insurance you want.

Oct 11, 2019
Catalina 30TRBS New Bern
To. be clear, “agreed value” is not the same thing as “replacement cost” insurance.

In other words, the underwriter will not necessarily reimburse you for that amount and you may be paying for a value you will never realize. Learning the difference is important when choosing the type of insurance you want.
correct, the replacement cost is about $50/year less.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Agreed hull value is what they pay for a total loss. In cases of repair for a partial loss watch out for depreciation clauses which can knock down what they pay to a small faction of the actual loss if you have an older boat, which I assume is the case with an $18k agreed value. I have Gieco/Boat US and was able to add a ”Depreciation Waiver” to address that issue with the policy on my 1982 Hunter. I think that rider was roughly a $50 add, but well worth it in my opinion.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Your best deal, if it's a available is to bundle with your home and auto policy

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
This is what I just did with my storm damaged 1980 Tartan 37. Geico paid out the Agreed Hull Value minus the Named Storm deductible but would not issue a liability only policy so that I could get my boat repaired in the yard. The yard requires liability insurance.

We talked to the local State Farm agency and got FULL insurance on the boat with an increase in Agreed Hull value of $15,000 more than we had. Total premium ended up being $100 less/year with a flat $500 deductible. And yes, wreck removal and fuel spill cleanup was included.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I am underwritten by Progressive through my insurance agent and have been for 3+ years. No complaints. but no claims either except for a dive service to untangle a submerged lobster pot. That incident did not affect my premium or the increasing discounts that I get.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I'm insured by Foremost. Amazing claims handling when my boat was struck by lightning in 2019. I offer this info with my highest recommendation. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
When I called Progressive for a tow in Michigan City, MI they sent out TowboatUS. Perhaps they were closer than SeaTow. There was a member on here who's boat ended up on dryish land a few weeks ago. He seemed pretty happy with the way progressive handled things. Unfortunately I can't remember who it was or what the title of the post was

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I’ve had Progressive for over ten years, agreed value. One claim, it was handled quickly, and fairly. Because I had a disappearing deductible, I paid $100 on a $5500 claim. Rates did not skyrocket after the claim. I’m a happy client.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
My insurance is with the same company as my houses and autos. I have had one claim in 14 years and it was handled fairly and promptly.
The carrier required a survey for insurance purposes at age 10, and now requests one at age 15. Their timing is a bit off in that they requested it after the season ended and the boat was laid up for winter storage.
I really don‘t take issue with the survey request. its not a bad idea, and I am confident that said survey would not find much in the way of deficiency.
I do have a problem finding a surveyor who is familiar with sailboats and is located in Northwestern Michigan so that I am not paying portal to portal time on top of the survey for someone to come from two thirds of the way across the state...
(If anybody has a recommendation for a surveyor in the Grand Traverse Bay area, email me.)

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I tried using my homeowners policy provider, but they had zero interest in insuring a 37 year old boat!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My boat is insured through my home/auto insurer. Agreed upon value policy. I have yet to have a claim, so no idea if it is a good policy or not. I don’t have towing though.

When I called to add the boat, they asked about a survey, and I gave them one that was a few years old...and a limited survey I had done just to get a look at the hull below the water line. They took it.

greg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I specifically asked them if requesting tow services affects policy rates. They said it does not and there would be a notification if it did in the future. I believe they said that past tows cannot affect future rates if this was to go into effect

TEM58

Apr 4, 2013
Catalina 350 35 Belton, TX
I’ve had Progressive for almost three years. I just finished a claim with them that totaled around $6500. Handled quickly, fairly, and pretty much hassle free. I’ve got no complaints at all. While moving from TX to FL last year along the ICW I also used the sign and glide more times than I’d like to admit. Calls were handled professionally and quickly each time (ok, it was three times during the trip). They call whichever tow service is closest to your location, so I had both SeaTow and TowBoatUS. There’s an app, or a phone number depending on which you prefer to use. There’s a provision in the coverage that allows reimbursement if you call for assistance on vhf versus calling sign & glide, but I haven’t used it so can’t say how that works.