Profurl Spinex 5.0 & Hunter 460

Feb 21, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 St Andrews Scotland
Hi people. I have the chance of a Profurl Spinex 5.0 for my Hunter 460 Casper which I would fly my cruising chute from..Do any of you out there use one? I do not wish to buy a extendable bow sprit but, I am worried there might not be enough space between my Selden Genoa Furler & pulpit. Could you please comment on this with any pictures you might have? At this time I have a sock but as yet, have never flown the cruising chute as the 460 is new to me.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Profurl Spinex 5.0 Spinex 5.0 (profurl.com) looks like a quality top-down furler. While I do not have this manufacturer/model top-down asymmetrical spinnaker furler I have experience with a CDI top-down furler. To eliminate your concern with distance between the genoa roller furler and top-down furler connect your spinnaker halyard to the furthest attachement point on your bow roller and confirm spacing adaquacy. I will look at my Hunter 46 today for the same today. Below are pics of Hunter 460's flying anasymmetrical spinnaker.
1636469873990.png

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2014
Profurl Spinex 5.0 Spinex 5.0 (profurl.com) looks like a quality top-down furler. While I do not have this manufacturer/model top-down asymmetrical spinnaker furler I have experience with a CDI top-down furler. To eliminate your concern with distance between the genoa roller furler and top-down furler connect your spinnaker halyard to the furthest attachement point on your bow roller and confirm spacing adaquacy. I will look at my Hunter 46 today for the same today. Below are pics of Hunter 460's flying anasymmetrical spinnaker.
View attachment 199989
Hello. Fantastic pictures, I hope Casper looks as spectacular I actually bought the cruising chute for the 460 before buying the yacht. I had owned a Passage 42 which had a kind of extended ss anchor roller forward which I flew a cruising chute off but, the 460 has a shorter arrangement. I am actually off the Congo West Africa at this time working unable to do any investigative work until I get home. If you could look at your bow arrangement it might help me come to some decision before the chap sells the Profurl to someone else

Feb 21, 2013
I will attach my spinnaker halyard and possiby with the top-down furler tomorrow and take photos of the clearance and post pics for you. Heck ....it might even get me motivated to fly my asymmetrical spinnaker.

Feb 21, 2014
I will attach my spinnaker halyard and possiby with the top-down furler tomorrow and take photos of the clearance and post pics for you. Heck ....it might even get me motivated to fly my asymmetrical spinnaker.

Feb 21, 2014
Great stuff, that will be very helpful. Also, where did you find the photos of the 460/466 flying there cruising chutes? I would like to take a look

Feb 21, 2013
Easy..........do an internet search on "Hunter 460 (466 or 46) spinnaker images" to see examples.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Lots of clearance for a top-down furler under the jib roller furler and attached to the end of the bow roller hole where the spinnaker halyard is attached on my Hunter 46. That is where I also attached the top-down furler on my Hunter 386.
1636576061173.png

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2014
Lots of clearance for a top-down furler under the jib roller furler and attached to the end of the bow roller hole where the spinnaker is attached. That is where I also attached the top-down furler on my Hunter 386.
View attachment 200036
Good evening from off the Congo. Thank you for your help, I've also been attempting to zoom in on what few photos I took of Casper whilst getting her ready and sailing her from England to Scotland August just gone. Okay, it looks like a green light I will get in touch with the chap who is selling. I've not had many replies, much appreciated

Feb 21, 2013
Two comments:

1. Suggest securing the furler asymmetrical spinnaker sail to the torsion cable with breakable yarn.
2. Only flown an asymmetrical spinnaker off a fractional rig vs. masthead rig like ours............no problem?

Feb 21, 2014
Mmmmm, my message with the picture hasn't appeared. Thanks for the info sail sfbay. I flew an asymmetric off my last boat a Passage 42 (video on YouTube William Smurthwaite) which appeared to have an extended bow roller/sprit compared to the 460. The picture above is what I intend having my pulpit cut and made like to fit the Spinex on