Profane language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
My Grandpa

Who talked like a sailor would say: Shut the h=ll up, eat your f&@$ing peas you smart @ssed little sh(t. All his grandkids turned out pretty dog gamned good despite his salty tongue or perhaps because of it. The word in question was used exactly as it should have been to express a thought perfectly. I think we who use such words will agree to rethink and possibly curb their use if others will agree to try and be open minded if one is used correctly and appropriately.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
John LOL!!

That '13' year old is now 33, has three kids and survived an insane ex-wife. We just talked while I was composing my last post on this thread and he used the F word. He only does it when artistic merit is in order. He's the finest human I know. His mother is even more proud. He's the man who gets my Camaro when I'm dead. My daughter was miffed. She's always wanted it and thinks blood should win out. He's my stepson. :) Again, it's only a word. P.S. John, I think my wife forgot how to cook. She's made me cook for the last 18 years. My choice if I don't want to cook is to take her out to dinner. Oh well,,,

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Tereza,

A couple of nights ago were were watching Animal Planet, and the Houston Dog Show was on. The very dignified lady commentator was talking about a wonderful dog in the competition. The dog was a female. What do you think she called the dog? Again, it's only a word.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Fred! That was just a FICTICIOUS story !

Notice that I didn't say anything about the RED car! Didn't want to make it too identifiable. I thought about it though - Speaking of teenage girls and cars - another Seabecker a few years ago had a VW bug (actually he had more than one) that his daughter insisted that she have so he fixed it up for her. Later he found out why. Turned out, in her words, she wanted to use it as "a boy magnet"! The good part is we know that'd never happen because you're really a good guy and never did that. :) For my part, I did a stint in construction to work my way through school and developed a pretty good volcabulary but it took quite a while to rid myself of talking that way. It got to be habit forming. Soooooo, fes up! Did you have a feathering prop in that Port Ludlow Rendezvous????? Huh? Huh?

Jun 7, 2004
Birch Bay Washington
Profanity, like evil thoughts

is/are in the mind of the reader. I must admit that I like to find the limiting edge of where I can go and then dance around it. It is a lot fun to explore the reactions of others and I plead guilty to that but never meant any harm by it. I doubt that most here actually mean to be maliciously offensive. How about some real and specific example of something I have written that is offensive to you, Terry? That is a serious question and I promise not to be offended. Just would like to understand your thinking as I expect most here would.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
John, I fixed up a old VW for our oldest daughter.

I still thought you were talking about me. I just assumed she would use it to find boys. That's life. And hey, my car is 'hugger orange' not red. And the boat had a geared Gori folder at that time. Dropped a blade pulling into Grand Cayman. Never found it. As far as salty language, (See Phil, another sailor term!) as a boy I was repressed by my strict religious upbringing. I couldn't force myself to use certain language until I was a rookie police officer. I felt so outta place that I finally said 'the hell with it':). And one of the characters in the first Joseph Waughmba cop book didn't trust any fellow cop who didn't cuss. I wanted to be trusted. :) And to this day my repressive mother who still goes to church, talks salty-er than I do when we are conversing. I just can't do it around her. ;)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Patrick, you have written nothing that I...

have taken offense to. I agree with most all the opinions expressed towards this article, although somewhat surprised to see the reaction it garnered. I fully agree with Phil's position relative to his PG-13 objective for the site. It just seemed to me that there were a few recent postings a bit over the language top (IMHO). Like others it took me a few years to break the habit of using profane words to express myself either verbally or in writing. I harbor no ill feelings towards those who choose to use off color words. I just prefer the challenge to build an appropriate vocabulary and express it accordingly. For the sake of HOW's audience, adults or otherwise, I would prefer to encourage PC language on this site. In doing so all can enjoy our contributions without fear of a parent imposing restrictions to our current and future sailors who just want to learn more about sailing. Very truly yours, Terry

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Fred - re Seabeck VW

The Seabeck guy I was talking about who fixed up a VW Bug for was Clint Odi.... (left the rest of the spelling out to protect his identity). His personal VW was a Baja "Bug". When he wasn't driving that he drove a black F-250 dualie (sometimes towing a horse trailer) so you may have seen either of them on the Seabeck highway. By the way, there was a great little article in the Monday or Tuesday "Sun" today about two Kitsap Sherrif deputies who, in separate incidents, nabbed a couple "agressive" drivers. One of them tailgated the officer and when he passed him the guy gave him the international hand signal that "slow" drivers are #1. The other incident was somewhat similar. The officers were either in unmarked cars or their personal vehicle - not a cruiser. Two thumbs-up for the deputies! By the way, as a gentle reminder, remember when you guys were pinging on me for removing the sails and puting on the plastic tarp? - soooo.... how come I see you posting so much on the board instead of being out there sailing in the rain? I admit that washing the boat, hopefully in the rain, seems like a good idea! Gets all that bird poop softened up ahead of time.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Oh John, No where here have I written anything

except I'm now a fair weather sailor and proud of it. :)

BobW

Jul 21, 2005
Hunter 31 San Pedro, Ca
Try batteries, Peggy.

They don't smell bad (sulferic acid odor kinda grows on you, but doesn't stay on you). It's easy to tell when and where they leak. Replacing them is easy - nobody glasses them in under the v-berth. The only liquid you usually ever have to deal with is water. No pumps, no hoses, no valves, no vented loops *yks AND no through-hulls!!!!! Cheers, Bob s/v X SAIL R 8

Status
Not open for further replies.