Problems stepping Hunter18.5 mast

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
Just bought this boat and couldn’t set it up with the owner so I’m on my own here.

First, there’s no back stay... none... owners manual says there is one but there is no rear wire. Were there some built with just side stays and a forestay?

Second, the forestay seems about 3”- 4” too short with the mast secured in its step and raised...... I doubt you need to apply the pressure it would take to bend the mast to fit the forestay into position?

A video of this particular boat having its mast raised would be real nice but I’ve been unable to find one.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Off to wedding out of state. Be back on Monday. Can you wait. A lot to discuss particularly loading the wing bulb keel onto the trailer. That boat did not come with a mast raise system unless previously by former owners. Go to boat info/Hunter resources/18.5

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
As far as stepping the mast.... I found the forward countersunk bolts in the mast step were just a little proud, after touching up the countersink very slightly and backing off the shrouds the mast raised properly.

My wife and I are raising the mast with her on the ground at the front of the boat pulling on the jib halyard with me on the boat lifting the mast from behind. It works but it’s sketchy,

I have see videos of guys attaching there spinnaker poles or booms to the front of the mast about forming 90 then running a line to a winch or block to assist. This looks like a decent plan but I just can’t picture how to secure either of those to the mast securely enough to try it. Anyone using a system like this?