problems running new wire in Oday 26 mast

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 26 Lake Keowee,SC
I am trying to rewire the 1985 Oday 26 mast lights and add an anchor light. There is some type of foam or sponge in the area of the spreaders and steaming light!
What is it and how do I get new wire past it to the steaming and anchor lights, also is the old original wire fastened to the mast or held in place with this "foam". Someone ran a wind instrument to the mast head and that wire also is firm and will not pull down. I have removed both top and bottom mast plates and I can see something there and I have good access except its 14 feet away.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
There shouldn't be anything in there except maybe a thru-bolt. A PO must have put something in the mast. It would be nice to a camera on an electrician's fish tape.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Sounds like some kind of material was pushed in to keep the wires from slapping around?
I think there are long fiberglass rods that connect together to act as a wire snake but they push in a straight line. Wonder if that would work if you could find one.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I added zip ties to my steaming light wire. I set 3 zip ties 120º offset about 18" apart. Didn't trim the tails. They should hold the wire in place to prevent slapping.

I think I've seen folks tie sponges to a wire for similar. In my smaller boat, the mast is filled with expanded polyurethane foam, mostly to help prevent turtling. But since I removed the masthead float, it doesn't work :)

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 26 Lake Keowee,SC
I found the problem... A previous owner had added a wind direction system to the mast head.....Placed a SPOUNG about 12' down and a second about 15' up then thru the streaming light put spray foam in to fill the gap and THAT locked the wires to the mast so they could not be pulled out.
SOLUTION.. 32' MAST, I got 4 sections 1/2 " metal conduit, flattened one end and made a long ram/chisel to remove it. It took 4 hrs but now new wires and lights are on the mast. Thanks for the info.