Problem untensioning adjustable backstay (backstay jack)

Apr 27, 2022
Beneteau 310 Toledo
Hi all,

I am the new owner of a Beneteau First 310 1992 and we are getting her ready for shipping from VA to MI.
We tried to untention the adjustable backstay (original--beneteau calls it a backstay jack in the manual)
by uncleating the jack line but it seems that it does not do anything...
I do not even know what is the mechanism inside the backstay adjuster
(I would suspect a block and tackle system but the aluminum cylinder
enclosing seems too thin for such a mechanism).

Does anyone know how to operate this?
We really need to get this done, otherwise we won't be able to unstep the mast.
In addition, we need to make sure nothing is damaged inside.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

thanks
Achilles

Jun 10, 2019
Beneteau First 36.7 Marina Village, Alameda
If it is the unit with jack-screw construction, I remember the one on my '85 First 38 was very difficult to loosen under load. IIRC, I have to insert a pipe over the end of one of the handles for extra purchase. I replaced the manual tensioner with a hydraulic unit shortly after that experience.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Achilles, there are several backstay adjusters available to the sailboat world. If you take a picture and post it here, it is more likely that one of the boat owners may have seen or operated the adjuster you have on your boat. THis is the case even if they are not Beneteau boat owners.

Apr 27, 2022
Beneteau 310 Toledo
UPDATE: thank you all for the comments. The rigger came and spent quite some time on the adjuster. Essentially the adjuster is toast (it was the original dating 1992)! We need to replace it with either another piece of cable or a new adjuster.
We are now in the market for a new adjuster, which does not have to be the same as the original one.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
It sounds like the PO did not use it. lack of exercise caused it to gaul.. The decision to make is whether or you'll use it..that will answer the what to acquire question...

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I use one like this Wichard.1651237825396.jpeg
I have a stiff non bending mast. This does a good job drawing the mast back or easing it to adjust the forestay.

Plenty of adjustment in small increments. Not rapid. If racing a speedier design might be preferable.