Problem Starting My 28 HP Yanmar Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Jaffe

Even though I leave the charger on at the dock for several days and my test button says there's a full charge on the batteries, I have intermittant problems getting the engine to start. Yet, after it DOES start and I have used it a bit (half hour or less) it has no problem starting on ONE battery! Could this be a starter button problem or a starter motor or solenoid problem.( or ALL of the above) Also, I am able to physically swivel the starter button 15 or 20 degrees.( I tried it thinking the button might have a short) Is this normal? Has anyone had similar difficulty? I thought I'd seek advice before ordering a new starter button from Ward at Beneteau. The boat is a '99 and the problem has only recently arisin. Steve Jaffe (also sljaphe@aol.com)

L

Larry W.

starter button

Steve; You may have one or more different problems, electrical and/or battery related. Before doing anything, clean all relevant connections, even on the starter and ignition switches(slide the connector off and on a few times) and run a load test on your starter battery, it might be almost dead despite what a voltmeter says. Is the switch round or square? The one on my OC400 is square, so can't see how it could rotate. If your's is round, the thin locking nut on the back of it may be loose. Get to the back of the panel and check. Good luck.

S

SteveJaffe

Thanx Larry!

Larry- It's my STARTER BUTTON that swivels, not my switch. I'll try what you suggestd and report my success (or lack thereof)Thanx for your input. Steve J.

Status
Not open for further replies.