prime the sea strainer???

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steven f

I have a 1981 H33 with a Westerbeke 21A engine. I have only owned the boat a few months. I cleaned out the engines sea strainer and changed the heat exchangers pencil zinc the other day and after putting it all back together, everything seemed to go fine, nothing broken or dropped in the bildge. When I started the engine it took a bit of time for water to reach the exaust pipe and when it did there seemed to be less water coming out of the exaust than usual. I only ran the engine for a minute or two, not longer than that. The temp. guage stayed normal (for the 2 minutes it was running). Should I have somehow primed the system before starting it or just let it run for a little bit longer (watching the temp guage) I know the heat exchanger was empty when the motor started but I figured once the water started flowing it would work fine. My wife said that it is probably running normal now and that before too much water was coming out. Any advise appreciated for this novice diesel owner.

M

Michael Cohn

interesting

You might want to make sure the gasket on the sea water strainer is intact. Priming should not be required. MC

B

Bob Knott

Priming, I say yes

When possible I always prime both the sea strainer and the water filter. It just makes it easier to get the prime back quickly. Why leave a filter full of air and make the water pump work so hard to remove the air block and replace it with water. Just my 2 cents, it's easy to do and saves the pump working time trying to remove the air. Good Luck Bob Knott

W

Wayne Estabrooks

My priming technique

To prime my sea strainer, after cleaning it, I just leave it slightly loose and open the seacock and let the water fill until all the air is out and it is full of water. I then tighten it, mop up any drips and check for leaks.

J

Jim O'Brien

no filters on mine

I am winterizing my H33 for the first time this year. I noticed that the hose runs from the thru-hull directly to the waterpump with nothing in between. Is this normal that ther is no strainer and it is an add-on? I have the 2gm Yanmar. PS. By removing the hose at the water pump and connecting a hose that runs to a bucket with pink stuff, it made an easy job of flushing the engine. To warm it up in order to change the oil, I used the water I was emptying out of the fresh water tank to run the engine with by plopping the hose into the Head sink with the water running. (I got that tip from an "OLD SALT".) Worked great. I am also doing some modifications to the fresh water and hot water delivery system. After the pressure pump I am inserting petcocks to shut off the hot water heater water supply. I made the mistake of putting in the pink stuff and pressurizing the system and it all just went into the water heater. (dah)with the shut offs it will make this process a lot easier. small lengths of 3/8 PVC and petcocks and adaptors for the hose ends should do the job. I just wish they made 2 or 3 way valves. If anyone knows of any let me know please.

D

Don Connolly

Impeller concern

It would of been a good idea to get water into the filter before running the engine. There is always a possibility of wear on the water pump impeller if run dry. I suggest you check the pump impeller for wear, if it's even a little worn it can cavitate and not move as much water. If in doubt replace it.

D

Don Connolly

Impeller concern

It would of been a good idea to get water into the filter before running the engine. There is always a possibility of wear on the water pump impeller if run dry. I suggest you check the pump impeller for wear, if it's even a little worn it can cavitate and not move as much water. If in doubt replace it.

J

Jim McCue

strainer?

Is it that you don't get enough water thruput? Since this is a new used boat for you I'd replace the impeller anyway. Also, if your impeller did crap out, it crumbles into pieces that could possibly be clogging up the thruput.

Status
Not open for further replies.