Prime Suspect II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Make sure the head gets properly torqued to specs but just as important is to re-torque the head after some 30-50 hours of running time.
The mechanic here is as good as you'll find in a marina. I'm sure the torque will be right.

If, big if, it runs today without leaking water, I'll be taking the boat into the equally excellent Drum Point Marine in Solomons, MD just as soon as I get there for the re-torquing and general check over.

The mechanic shows up in about an hour with all the parts and said he should have it running by the end of the day.

I took dental picks yesterday to the low part of the exhaust manifold where the winterizing drain was complete plugged with loose scale. Water has been sat in there for several winters because I hadn't learned yet to remove the thermostat before winterizing. It's by far the worst part of the cooling system we can see and, once I cleaned it out, there is no detectable wastage or thinning. This is the only place we could see any scale. It's like the PO never ran this engine.

Even raw water cooled, this engine looks as if it should easily outlast me. (One of the nice things about being old is you can say things like that). If it leaking water into the oil today, it is almost certainly a failure due to the cylinder liner seals. In that case, the boat will be going on the hard and the engine coming out for rebuild. It's basically a wonderful engine and I love listening to its locomotive style cadence as opposed to the rice burner whine of the new ones.

Film at 11:00

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2010
Hunter 22 Cape Vincent NY
Roger
If this engine has wet sleeves. It might make more sense to check liners for cavitation and the liner seals for leaks before reassembling the top. In a road tractor we would typically remove the oil pan and pressurize the cooling system and look for leaks. probably not practical in your application. If you do remove the engine make sure they pressure check the block and the head.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
refrain from commenting

Roger,

You have mentioned the condition of the engine
before and now say, "It's like the PO never ran
this engine."

Rather you have spoken of the need to run the
engine at high speed to keep it functioning good.

You may find it had to believe but there are
sailboat sailors who reserve using the engine
for when absolutely needed.

For years on a big Corps Lake on the South
Carolina and Georgia line I sailed from the dock
to sail about the lake and to return to the dock
by sail.

However, some commented that I did not know
if the engine really worked and I should confirm it
did before sailing about.

So, maybe previous owners just were accomplished
sailboaters?

Maybe they sculled when needed? In light winds
sculling puts you at dock gently.

Do you have a sculling oar? A famous couple used
such for years while sailing about the world.
see first paragraph:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_and_Larry_Pardey

Just get out your carving tools:
http://www.woodenboat.net.nz/Stories/Sculling/scullthree.html

To hell with the engine, just scull south. Travel in the wake of
the Pardeys.

Ed K

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Missed the point

Ed, you don't sail much when you're traveling the AICW. You are aware of Roger's travels, are you not? Somehow I never saw Lynn & Larry in "The Ditch." :D:D:D

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Roger,
Just a thought. An alternative to the relatively high cost of having an inboard engine and the accompanying maintenance costs would be to buy a boat like an older Catalina 27 with an outboard. For cruising the ICW this would be fine and new engines would only be 2 grand for a ten HP (approx.). You can get an older Catalina 27 for about 4500 bucks. For the price of a new motor and installation you could have a smaller boat with a brand new outboard. I read about a guy that cruised the east coast for years in something like a 25 footer, not sure he ever had a motor or not. He made sails out of tarps he recovered from dumpsters after winter storage season. You can cruise pretty inexpensively if you are willing to lower expectations on comfort. The Catalina 27 would certainly be a lot more cramped but for sitting in the cockpit and enjoying nature and the ports it would still be enjoyable. Just food for thought.
Good luck with the motor,
Dave

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
And, Roger did put in a LOT of work to his interior and systems before he left last year, like his nifty heating system. Hard to swap out a boat like his for anything else without further investigation of his engine.

Ah, so easy for us to say...

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Stu

Ed, you don't sail much when you're traveling the AICW. You are aware of Roger's travels, are you not? Somehow I never saw Lynn & Larry in "The Ditch." :D:D:D
Stu,

Yes I am aware of Roger's travels in the ditch. But
maybe he will go outside more this time?

So Lynn and Larry did not sail the ditch, Roger could
be first by sculling!!!

Yes, it is hard to use sails in the ditch, except for a
small stretch on the Pamlico Sound. Also, depends
on time of year. Right now the prevailing is from
southwest, the wrong direction for a sailboat going
south.

Gee, maybe he will even go outside around Hatteras
and Lookout? He is the man... and by sail!

Ed K

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I have pretty much confidence that the naval architect and a couple of darn good diesel mechanics will work this problem out!

Roger, when you have some time to think about your schedule, give me a shout! Think positive ... this could have happened near Atlantic Highlands!

Nov 22, 2008
If this engine has wet sleeves. It might make more sense to check liners for cavitation and the liner seals for leaks before reassembling the top.
The liner seals (the engine does have wet liners) are what have been keeping me awake the past few nights but there is no way to check them without removing the engine from the boat. Taking it out and putting it back in, along with the testing, would cost more than what we are doing.

The engine is running again and all initial signs are good. We won't know for sure until we put it under full load tomorrow.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Roger,
Please do not be offended by this comment it is a suggestion to help you out. Myself and many others love reading about your adventures cruising. I suggested to you last year to take your logs and write a book so you could make some money from it. Personally I feel there is value in your adventures and I would feel an empty space if you suddenly stopped.

So looking at the number of views on just this thread, If each of the folks reading about your adventures just sent you a a couple dollars you could easily pay for your repairs and keep cruising. Tom Neal, the Pardey's, etc, write about their adventures and get income from it why shouldn't you? How about you set up a location we could send you voluntary donations, we get to enjoy your writings, learn from them in the process, and you get the income you need for repairs? Again I hope this doesn't offend you but I am guessing others would be willing to send a couple bucks to help your cause.
Sincerely,
Dave

Nov 22, 2008
How about you set up a location we could send you voluntary donations, we get to enjoy your writings, learn from them in the process, and you get the income you need for repairs?
Thank you very much for the thought but, in a world like this, I wouldn't feel right about it.

I actually am fairly secure financially. Some money will come in as long as I can keep pushing air in and out but cash flow is thin. There is money I can get but every dollar I take out costs me about ten in the long run.

OTOH, I never turn down a free beer:)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I took dental picks yesterday to the low part of the exhaust manifold where the winterizing drain was complete plugged with loose scale. Water has been sat in there for several winters because I hadn't learned yet to remove the thermostat before winterizing.
One of my "winterizing hot buttons" that I have been harping on for years. Seen many a freeze plug spit and a few cracked engines because folks think you can winterize a RWC engine with the t-stat in. You can get lucky, but you need to remove the t-stat to get the AF into the engine properly....;)

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Late reading the thread, too late now....

I would have pulled the engine. My thinking is if you undone it all and got it ready, mechanics labor would not have been too much higher. My thinking is if it was out, even if it never left the dock, you could have resealed the liners, checked mains and rod bearings, oil pump, and checked potential, or real problems, off the list. Not a rebuild or overhaul per se, just a freshening up, making sure the motor is 100%fully correct, and every seal and gasket were replaced, especially the impossible ones.

All moot now, but if you have further troubles, consider doing it then. I have greater trust in run in engines I have seen run, than starting over fresh with something ive never seen. Hopefully, and prayerfully, your troubles are behind you and the lil bugger will perform flawlessly for another lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.