Primary + Secondary Fuel Filter Change Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Firest, I'd like to thank those who have posted advice on this forum about the changeout process. GREAT and usefull information!

I had noticed a mild stumble recently and decided it was time I changed the filters. Our 280 engine systems are lightly used even though we take her out 20+ times a year so I haven't changed the filters in 4 years and things were fine until recently. I had started to see an increasing amount of weeping at the lift pump too so I changed that as well. Here is how it went.

First of all, the racor 110A primary is in a tough spot to work on - low in the "tunnel" just above a wiring bundle. Tried to unscrew the bowl with wrenches (box and strap) to no avail. It even started to pull the screws out of the fiberglass. Well, I bit the bullet and removed the whole assembly (as some suggested I might have to do), put the mounting flange in a vice and cranked hard on the nut at the bottom of the bowl. It finally broke loose. The fuel in the bowl was almost black; full of tiny particles but no snotty sludge and maybe a cc of water. Next, I replaced the lift pump and then pulled the secondary filter (which looked pretty clean). I reconnected the head of the Racor to the lines, prefilled the bowl, screwed it back onto the head and remounted the whole assembly and opened the fuel valve at the tank. Next, with the engine filter/bowl still disassembled, I pumped the lift pump until some fuel came out of the top of the secondary housing. Then, I remounted the secondary filter, filled the bowl and screwed in back on. Opened the bleed screw at the top and pumped some more. I was surprised that it only took about 6-8 pumps before it started to bubble out and was clear with just a couple of more pumps. Feeling cautiously optimistic, I disengaged the fuel shutoff and asked the admiral to hit the starter. Well she fired right up, stumbled just a tiny bit then ran smoothly!
HOORAY!!
After cleaning up we decided to take her for a test run and was very pleased with the restart and smooth operation. It did NOT fix another symptom I have but I'll put that in another thread.
Thanks again to all who have advised me on this chore.

Clark

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
How does self-bleeding work? I wonder why an older engine couldn't be modified? It takes me 30 seconds to change a filter. And with the new 3YM30 that is all that I do, swap out the filter and start the engine.

My Racor is the type with the steel band around the top. Very easy to pull the top and insert a new filter. I changed one while coasting in the middle of the narrow Alligator river. We were still doing four knots when we restarted the engine.

With the old 2QM20 I could change the filter just as quickly. To bleed I connected a small outboard tank with one gallon of diesel to the Racor. Couple of squeezes on the hose bulb and she started right up. No opening of injectors or bleed screws, no worries about worn banjo washers. Guys who have been on this board eight or more years are tired of that story. :)

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Ed:

I don't know how it works, but it does. I do not think that my 3JH2E has a fuel return line to the tank. I do not know where it goes, but there is only a single line out of the tank. I cannot remember how my 2GM was plumbed.

Here is a kewl link on how to bleed your engine if you have not done it before.

http://www.onboardwithmarkcorke.com...e.html?cid=6a010536216f64970b01157014b604970b

Another good idea from this article is to paint all of your bleed points so you find them in an emergency with low light (if you are a blind bastard like me).

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Is your 3JH self-bleeding Steve? My 2QM did not have a return line but my 3YM does. It just goes back into the tank though. The 2QM was not hard to bleed just not necessary with my little tank.

Jan 4, 2006
Catalina 36 MKII Buford, Ga.
"The fuel in the bowl was almost black; full of tiny particles but no snotty sludge and maybe a cc of water"

congratulations Clark...sounds like you were way overdo for a filter change. Doesn't it feel good that you did it yourself. You (and your diesel engine) should both be happy.:D

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Congrats

It is not an extremely difficult task, but gratifying when completed. I change the secondary Yanmar engine filter once a year. Regardless. I also use an electric fuel pump for priming. On my 3GM, it is almost impossible to get to the lift pump for manual bleeding. If your lift pump is hard to get at, you will find the addition of an electric well worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.